How do I save/reuse a world surface node setup?

I found this lovely node setup to generate stars and nebulas as world surface … a procedural space background. How do I get this complex setup from its own blend file into my blend file? I haven’t seen any possibility to save a node setup and reload it elsewhere or similar?

In the source blend, add the nodes to a group (Ctrl+G)
In the target blend Shift+F1 to append the node group from the source
Add the node group to your material (Sfift+A / Add / Group)

Hm, I can’t reproduce that … I’m a newbie :slight_smile: I opened the source blend, went into the node view, then selected the “World” nodeview, where the background node setup is.

I can use ‘a’ to select everything there and then use make group … then everything turns green and there’s two new nodes for group in and out it seems.

But then what? I can’t open two blends at the same time? I can open the other one, go to the world node screen again … but shift-f1 does nothing?

And when you say material … does this apply to the world surface as well? As I’m not in materials, but in the word surface?

Save the blend file, then you can close it

I can’t open two blends at the same time? I can open the other one, go to the world node screen again … but shift-f1 does nothing?

And when you say material … does this apply to the world surface as well? As I’m not in materials, but in the word surface?

Material, World, makes no difference, they are both node systems

Appending http://cgcookie.com/blender/2010/07/12/tip-appending-and-linking/

Got it … interesting feature, this automatic browsing through another blends components … :slight_smile: Thanks a lot, learned a few things with this. Now if only Blender came with a native sensible materials etc database… these addons are always out of date it seem :confused: