how do u use freestyle with blender under linux?

there seems to be no answer for this question. i have version 2.53, but when i go under post processing there is no freestyle check mark.

You must specifically download one of the “Branch” builds on Graphicall.org to access the Freestyle options, as they have not been fully completed, nor merged with the Trunk. This is expected to happen eventually. I have two builds on the site that I have kept up, one for Win32 (useless for you as requested) and the other is for Linux64, which I do not know if you are running 64bit. There are others. Look for the Freestyle choices in the left hand column of non-optimized versions. They include many aspects of the new 2.53. You can have multiple versions running just fine. Go download and let us know how it works for you.
Paul

i have a 32 bit computer, i thought that i had found what i was looking for at this link but the executable did not do anything

im not sure why this build is not working…

i think that a specific branch build that you would recommend me to download would help me a lot.

OK SO THIS IS A TEmporary solution… i just ran the win32 version under wine…crashes all the time but i suppose its better than noothing…this question still goes unsolved :frowning:

What distro are you using?
Are there are any error messages when you try to run the build?

im running ubuntu 10.04 ya its kinda wierd but there are no errors… i double click it then… nothing no error message no window just the desktop…heck the cursor doesn’t even change to indicate the computer is doing anything…

I wish I could be specific, but I had a problem for a brief while, in which my development station (Ubuntu64) would compile and run Blender64Freestyle, but my secondary workstation would no longer run the same build. No response, similar to your call. Somewhere on the thread (Freestyle??) Loopduplicate (that’s his UserID) indicated that it is necessary to use the Synaptic Manager and load some libraries. Like many of these solutions, once I have them successfully working, I move on, so I am kind of useless to give specifics, but I do know that it took care of the problem. Go ahead and load the build from the Official Blender.org site, and see if it takes care of the dependencies. You can run multiple versions without difficulty. If that doesn’t work, look around for the posting by Loopduplicate. Sorry I do not have the specifics beyond what I have given, and I don’t feel like doing the research again. Good luck, look around…
Paul

While it is probably a dependency issue, it would help to identify which dependency. Rather than combing through the logs in /var, try starting blender from a terminal (i.e. the command line) and see what it says. I don’t know if you know how to do this and I’m assuming you didn’t install through synpatic so:

Open a terminal
Navigate to the folder where you extracted blender
Try to start blender via typing “./blender” without the quotations.
Have a look at any messages you see on the terminal.

i got this…
hehe took me a while to figure out navigation in the terminal…

travis@travis:/media/New Volume$ cd blender25_freestyle
travis@travis:/media/New Volume/blender25_freestyle$ ./blender
./blender: error while loading shared libraries: libfftw3.so.3: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
travis@travis:/media/New Volume/blender25_freestyle$ 

does this mean i have to download this library?

ok so all libraries required for freestyle are available through the Ubuntu software center…
the list of libraries can be found here at http://freestyle.sourceforge.net/doc/html/linuxinstall.html in bold yellow print, after you download the libraries just run the .exe it should be fine.

thank you all for helping me

i got this…
hehe took me a while to figure out navigation in the terminal…

travis@travis:/media/New Volume$ cd blender25_freestyle
travis@travis:/media/New Volume/blender25_freestyle$ ./blender
./blender: error while loading shared libraries: libfftw3.so.3: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
travis@travis:/media/New Volume/blender25_freestyle$ 

does this mean i have to download this library?

Yep, once you download the package through the software centre, the freestyle version should work fine. Just search the software centre for fftw and install this package as it should contain the libfftw3.so.3 library.

Libraries are generally provided as part of packages. They usually follow a standard naming scheme. i.e. libfftw3.so.3

lib = library
fftw = package name that provides the library
3 = major package version
so = shared object (dynamically linked library)
3 = library version number

thank you for taking the time to help!