How do you animate waving hair with Jahka particles?

I’ve got the Jahka particles build of Blender and I’ve seen an animation of a model with hair waving such as in this video here:

How do you that particle effect?

i think you create a plane, off to the side, facing the hair, and make it a wind effect. Put it on the same layer as the hair. The wind effect pushes particles, the vortex effect pulls them. Move the plane around (animate) and animate the force to simulate gusting or real-wind.

Isn’t the hair twisting & moving with the head rotation? That’s what it looks like to me. I heard that one you have the movements of the body in place you bake Jahkas particles to follow the parent surface in relation to the shape that they have in place when stationary

I thought that to animate waving hair, you rotated the particle-containing object and set the particle system to softbody hair or something like that… :spin:

I was the one that did that with a very early version of the Jahkha particle patch.

Everyone on YouTube was begging me for a tutorial, but for a long time, softbodies weren’t working with the particles anymore.

Jahka’s tutorial isn’t there on http://wiki.blender.org/index.php/BlenderDev/Particles_Rewrite#Softbody_integration anymore, so does anyone know if there is an updated tutorial anywhere for the new particle patch?

If I tried writing a tutorial on the version I used, it would probably be way out of date now.

Is it working with softbodies now?

That effect will work in the latest SVN builds (www.graphicall.org). Add a particle system, select Hair from the particle type dropdown (default is Emitter), give it some normal acceleration to make it stick out.

Go to soft bodies. From the dropdown on the soft body tab select the Particle system, rather than Object. Click Soft body. The default settings ought to be fine. Run the animation.

If you keyframe the object’s motion rotating back and forth, the softbody hair will respond accordingly.

This is all off the top of my head at the moment, and I don’t have a svn build on the machine I’m using now, so apologies if I’ve missed a step.

Oh, and for the fastest results, use a small number of particles and add children in the rightmost tab on the particles buttons area.

I just downloaded the December 20th version of the SVN Trunk and here are the steps I used to get it to work:

Step 1: Animate your object by going to different frames and moving it or rotating it however you like and then pressing the “i” key to insert a keyframe.

Step 2: Press the object panel button and then press the particle button.

Step 3: On the new panel that shows up select “ADD NEW” from the drop-down box.

Step 4: In the Particle System panel, in the dropdown box that’s labeled Emitter, select “Hair”

Step 5: In the Physics panel set Normal to 0.25 and Random to 0.010. You should now see strands of hair being emitted from your object.

Step 6: In the visualization panel press the “Emitter” button. That way the object that’s emitting the particles will also be visible.

Step 7: In the Panels button select the “Editing” button or press “F9” on your keyboard.

Step 8: In the Link and Materials panel, press the “New” button twice so you can have two materials for your ojbect. One for the emitter and one for the hair.

Step 9: Assign the two different materials to the two different material indices by pressing the “Assign” button for each material.

Step 10: Go to your Materials panel by pressing the “Material buttons” button (the button with the little red shiny sphere) and set one of the materials to use “Tangent” shading and color it however you like (this is the material you’ll want to use for your hair).

Step 11: Go back the particle panel and under “Visualization” select the Material index number you’re using for your hair.

Step 12: Press the Physics button on the Panels bar. This next step is important! On the Soft Body panel make sure the Particle System is selected from the dropdown box, NOT the object. Now, click on the Soft Body button. Just go with the default values for now.

Step 13: Press Alt-A to run the simulation.

Step 14: Render the animation, if you’d like.

Here’s a video that I did using the new SVN version: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y1bxrQ7a12s