How do you deal with your anxiety or depression during these uncertain times?

Oh man, Marcus Aurelius is the shit. I have his meditations always on my nightstand. Thoughtful, wise advice for any moment in life.

2 Likes

“Anxiety and depression” can be very different from merely “feeling depressed.” But you might not recognize it. Sometimes “your feelings are your own,” and sometimes they’re not.

Be sure that you’re getting fresh air and exercise, and also pay attention to what you are eating. Your body needs a variety of foods in order to be sure that you’re getting the nutrients that it needs. You might also have food allergies that you never knew about. (I’ve said before that I knew of a person who had profound mental affectation caused by, as it turns out, broccoli.) Keep a daily journal, take careful observations, then go back and read it. Then, if things simply aren’t getting better, seek professional help – bringing that journal with you.

Ministers, priests and rabbis all receive some amount of training in counseling and observation, if that’s your pleasure. Every city has trained psychologists. I once volunteered on a suicide-prevention telephone hotline, and every now and then we’d get a call from someone – not at all suicidal – who guessed (correctly …) that we probably had a list of resources that they could call. They’re out there and they can help you. (Without “zombie drugs,” or maybe any medication at all.)

The key point to remember is that you don’t(!) have to “live with it,” and that your situation is not(!) atypical. It’s really quite common.

3 Likes

Yes, this distinction is important, thankfully the majority of people does not suffer from strong depression.
If you have strong depression you’ll definitely realize it, by the fact that you are not able to do ANYTHING except maybe laying in bed crying and contemplating fast methods of suicide.

A friend of mine suffered from strong depression that were not really coming from anything identifiable in his life and it was pushing suicidal tendencies on him that were unbearable. He had to endure 6 weeks of suffering before the medication started to work (whole therapy took 9 months of constant medication).
Although no real “zombie drug” he said it was bad enough.
That was 8 years ago, since then things have changed.

Not many people know this, but I know for certain that in the US there is an (legal) medication available, an anaesthetic that is also quite known in the drug scene - Ketamine / Esketamine.
Ketamine / Esketamine is a robust and rapid-acting antidepressant, that while working only transitionary, it has the ability to crush suicidal thoughts for several days.
It received a breakthrough designation from the FDA for treatment-resistant depression in 2013 and major depressive disorder with accompanying suicidal ideation in 2016.
Go and talk to your doctor about it if you are already in treatment, and/or remember that this could be a lifeline.
Its not a cure, its a crutch, but it works and it works fast.

Escitalopram / Zolpidem. Seem I can’t sleep without’em.
But that much before Covid. I’m a schizoid. :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

EDIT: of course my safety valve is sense of humour :crazy_face:

Excellent topic folks. It’s good to talk about all of this.

I can’t really add much to what has already been said except that I’ve made sure to get into a better sleep cycle. Bed by 10, up at 5-5:30. I’m out with the dog for a really long walk and at my desk by 8-8:30.

That has kept the head in the right place for a good few months now.

1 Like

finding an activity that even for a bit can help you feel a bit different. like what really gets people is the mind, the mind that tricks us and tells us we will always be depressed, nothing is fun. i hear that voice and i try and remember thats a trick and then i find something to do that defies that and i put that feeling away if only for a bit and i promise to return to it and i do. i take time also to feel sadness for all the terrible losses. so i guess i think it comes down to holding some kind of balance. finding a way to step out of the sadness for just a bit I find makes an incredible difference. Going out in nature and feeling that also i think is very helpful too. that’s what i do. <3 hope it helps.

1 Like

Folks … "mental illness" is, first of all, real, and in a great many cases it is quite physical.

If the symptoms that you experience are so overt that you recognize them, then maybe “you’re the lucky one.” Far more dangerous – and deadly – is when you don’t. When perhaps it quite-literally never occurs to you that something is out of the ordinary – that your own brain(!) is actually leading you astray.

But, always remember this: Our brains run on "voodoo chemistry!" (Consider the profound effects caused by a quantity of “LSD” that fits on the back oif a postage stamp!) It’s really quite amazing that they work at all . . .

The most damning aspect of mental illness is that “you are on the inside.” Which is not where you need to be. The person who can tell you where the sharks are, and who can throw you a life-line, has to be on shore or on a boat. In a dangerous situation like this one, you really can’t expect to save yourself. (Even if you do “make it,” you’ve experienced unnecessary misery.)

But … “it’s a velvet-lined trap.”

1 Like

I quit watching the news. The main thing I watch on TV now is Christian television (though I do watch some other television shows). I get my weather and sports news from online resources now.

Personally for me, I find that doing something creative helps and having music in the background. I also find that reading the Bible, praying, and watching Christian television helps too.

1 Like

Read the bible.

1 Like

“I laugh at everything / to carry on”

My Family is disabled, both my daughter and her mother,

I have been on ‘quarantine’ for 10 years before the quarantine.

Shadow-work.
Find yourself, or you will loose yourself.

Art. If I’m too depressed/anxious to do art, just watching tutorials or speed art videos can help get my mind off things. If things are REALLY bad and I need an emergency pick me up: funny cat videos.

Also melatonin to help with sleep as my sleep cycle goes completely out of whack when I’m stressed/depressed which compounds the problem.

Well…as a veteran, quite frankly it didn’t take a global contagious disease too highlight a personal struggle with mental health although definitely enforced an already frustrated sense of hopelessness, when trying to navigate a maze of ‘red tape’ for specific services administered via government agencies, others in a similar situation are also entitled to access.

So namely, DVA - VA!! what a fucking useless crowd of incompetent fuckwits. The consequence of covid’s advent seems only to serve as a excuse for those at federal level, too enact an arbitrary across-the-board downright cruel fiscal policy by tightening the public purse strings, therein making the entire process brutally difficult and who knows?! probably the underlying reasoning for its’ introduction, to start with…

Now since my discharge from the Army a while ago, I’ve managed to cope with a medical diagnosis of both depression and anxiety disorders through self funding clinical therapy when needed but a ‘perfect-storm’ of events arose late last year and continuing on until the present day thus compounding the illness.

• October: sustained a workplace injury, an MRI scan (an out of pocket expense) had revealed was due too osteoarthritis effecting the left knee
  • Four weeks later, eventually assessed as fully fit for return too work but cautioned will intermittently flare up in the short term
  • December: with that in mind decided the best course of action, was voluntarily seek other less strenuous employment
  • January 2022: omicron’s impact upon all sectors of society where I live has triggered critical staff shortages throughout key industries in terms of furlough, Statewide

Anyway essentially, my own tale of woe is in no way unique, nevertheless external factors beyond ones control will typically influence an individual’s capacity to manage their respective well-being during times of upheaval.