How do you guys do it!?

How do you guys do it? I was looking at some render’s on this forum, and they rock. What’s the secret? I presume years of blendering :wink:

Like everything else:

1. know your tools
  2. learn from the work of others
  3. practice

Download as many BLEND files as you can find and examine the techniques in each file. The test suite is very good for this.

I also watch as many traning videos as possible.

Blender Newbies has a lot of good tutorials.

Also, so does www.youtube.com

Do the tehniques are actually available in the files? I mean it’s a certain tehnique, it does not necesarly get reflected in the final model, except for the final result, but now how you got there.

But if you analyze the mesh of an object, look at the modifiers, look at all the settings the person messed with. Then you might be able to decipher what that person did. Then in figuring it out you learn a lot about the mesh, more than watching a guy make it in a video tutorial.

And you can also try to recreate the mesh using those techniques you found in the file and maybe make a couple along the way. It is all a learning process. It just takes time. You will get it, just keep practicing :slight_smile:

I guess I am talking about rigs and code snippets too.

I was amazed at that usability of the stretchy/squashy ball rig. As simple as the concept is, the rig is great. You can drag it around and the ball rolls automagically. You can also turn that feature on and off. And while the mesh is non-amazing (a simple sphere) it is the technique that makes it powerfull.

Also Campbell Barton posted a scriptlink that changes the color of objects as you drag an empty around. that was cool too. Not because it was an amazing scene or mesh, but it demonstrated another part of blender that we, as animators, can leverage to add more wow or to implement a concept.

I rarely model, although I have been playing around with some of the character rigs floating around recently.

I think that hits the nail on the head. (I should make a model of that sometime… :smiley: )

First of all, I’m no expert, but I’m far from a Blender noobie.

I haven’t ever downloaded anyone else’s blend files to learn from them, but I’ve taken lots of tutorials. The best way to learn is to do it. Click buttons just to see what they do. Ctrl+Z will be your best friend while you’re learning. Sometimes I still hit Ctrl+Z and Ctrl+Y over and over again to try to catch all the differences a certain button made. Downloading someone else’s model is a good idea too, and one that I never thought of.

And to make a large, complex model, it takes even more perserverance than know-how. It’s so easy to say something’s too hard, takes too long, or something like that, but you won’t make anything good thinking like that. The most complex models are usually just a bunch of simple models and techniques put together. The most complex things in Blender are usually the least used.

Lastly, be active in a Blender community like this one. I didn’t join any until recently, and it took forever for me to learn how to use Blender, or even what it could do.