Just a little thread for speculating on what kind of a OS would be perfect in your opinion
- Can run most apps/games. With no imitation (Like Windows)
- Complete Ease of installing and removing apps, with no bad causes.
Apps are one icon bundle files, all you have to do is place the app file into the app folder and everything else (Licenses, dependencies, etc) is done automatically for you. No dialogues (unless it’s really important). Programs can not be run when they are not in the app folder.
All apps that comes with the OS preinstalled can be easily removed if you want to, by simply going to the app folder and pressing delete. You should also be free to delete the Window manager, shell, file browser, etc, and replace it with something better you like… You could go to program contents as folder if you right click on the App and select something like “Open app folder”(Didn’t try mac, but is it something similar?). Also, a similar folder for drivers/libs in which you just place or delete drivers. NO TERMINAL is necessary for anything, everything achievable by mouse clicking.
- No useless features out of the box, such as voice recognision and etc. Windows will have face recognition to log in. Which is just freakin stupid. (I like Ubuntu for this, but it still adds a few useless things). Basically all it needs to start off is MS office. Or a program that is 100% compatible with MS office in every way (unlike Open Office, which screws up the fonts). A .txt editor, a terminal/console, a very simple yet capable media player, primitive image viewer, Disc burner, an internet browser (Google chrome or Firefox preferably), drivers for every hardware you have connected, shell, windows manager, file browser, Search, Apps for editing the settings of the hardware and similar. If the user needs more, he is free to download via the software manager (more about that on point 8). Should also come with sample sample files, such was wallpapers and themes.
- The OS should automatically recognise the hardware and automatically download the driver for it. Never worry about drivers ever again. (Ubuntu, but way more compatible). I want an OS, where I’d just connect my Wacom bamboo tablet and it just worked. And would even automatically download an App that provides me the GUI to change the settings.
- One consistant software updater for all software on your computer (like ubuntu)
- No need to reinstall the whole OS just because of a new version. The Updater should do that. If it’s payed OS, you should be able to pay for the update, or insert a new CD, and it will update without reinstalling everything from scratch. (Ubuntu)
- Well supported by all/most software and hardware companies. The hardware boxes should show that it’s compatible right there on the box (Windows, mac, it’s never written on the box about linux compatibility!)
- Software manager for all commercial and non commercial software. For example, you could search for commercial software (like photoshop) and it would also let you know about free alternatives (Like Gimp). You could do the buying and downloading there, no need to go to the software website. (ubuntu, Mac app store) No Bias on anything, only the software itself should speak about the quality.
- Partitions like in Windows. But way better organised contents, completely simplified. Just go to your C drive and the only folders you see would be: Users, Drivers, Apps, OS. That’s it. No other folders or files should be possible to Add into the C drive. If the Computer has only one user, the folder “users” would be named by the name of the user and would lead directly to his home folder. Everything that the average joe like me doesn’t care or understand is placed in the OS folder.
- Not to expensive. Best if it’s Open Source.
^ Basically Ubuntu for Dummies + World approval.