How do you interpolate (tween) keyframes in Grease Pencil?

So I have a problem. I really want to learn how to interpolate (or what some people call: “tween”) the keyframes of my cartoon character in Grease Pencil in Blender 2.82a, but I am stumped. I’ve tried looking for tutorials on google, but they are ALL outdated (at least the ones that I’VE found), and so when I would follow the tutorial, I kept getting results that were terrible and one time Blender even crashed on me! I really want to get this working, because I am indeed animating a character in 2D, so Interpolation will save me MANY hours of work!

It really depends on how you are trying to interpolate

If you draw, let’s say, a box, and int the next keyframe, you completely redraw that box, it won’t go well.

Grease Pencil strokes are based on vertices, and the vertices is what gets interpolated.

Blender can interpolate ‘recycled’ strokes: you draw a box, and in the next keyframe you rotate, move, scale or deform the same box.

have you seen this?

As far as i know, Grease Pencil can also use Bones and Shapes Keys, wich will be pretty useful as well.

If you go to the draw menu at the top there’s an option for interpolate, but the results can be a little weird depending on the shapes. You draw a shape, then go ahead a few frames, then go to an empty frame in between. draw menu > interpolate or interpolate sequence.

I just learned there is a proper way to do this that has flawless results. I left an instructional in the tips and tricks subforum.