How do you make a real candy cane (with ONE stripe)?

You can adjust how much it’ll twist using the Simple Deform modifier’s deform (twist) angle, it’ll take however many turns you put into it.

Thank you again, but I really don’t get it - the angle will only go to 180 degrees, which results in half a turn. How do you exceed that?

EDIT: I just googled this and found a guy who did it in Maya, using a similar technique. But he could set the angle to 1800 degrees in Maya which results in 5 full turns!

So this is the question: Is it possible to override Blender’s 180 degree-limit?

Huh. For some reason Blender has a 180 degree limit for the angle when dragging the mouse or clicking the arrow. The limit is not there when you click the number and type in your desired twisting.

There is no limit; write 5000 and you’ll have it.

I would do it on the material; separate x & y and just add some factor of x to y before mapping a stripe.

Thank you again, Sculptor - I just tried, but it works exactly like when you stack 10 instances of the modifier on top of each other:

It destroys/deforms the basic cylinder.

That sounds very interesting - could you please elaborate a bit on that?

Thank you, yes there’s only a limit when you drag the mouse or click the arrow, I didn’t know that.

However, increasing the angle to the necessary degree deforms the cylinder.

This is not the only place where manual override is used. 180 deg was considered a normal/useful range you can operate easily using mouse. If that was unlimited range mouse control would not be “under control” anymore.

Polygonal modeling assumes “distorting” objects - mesh they consist of. Increase amount of polygons you modify to where distortions seem acceptable.

I am curious if you use procedural textures to map on Cylinder; while CarlG suggestion sounds easy i would also ask him to kindly explain a bit further - i’m not so good at “turning vectors” and using math and could not figure anything based on Wave or Blend.

try this nodes set up should work

happy cl

Attachments

another way to do it, with control of the number of turns:

Secrop, that’s nice, correct spiral. Unfortunately, seems Object or Generated coords doesn’t work, no Curves, out of the box…

The best way to do it for now is to use UV coordinates (use the follow active quads option in the UV menu to wrap the cylinder).

You really can’t do it with generated coords until Cycles gets code for harmonic coordinates (which would allow those coordinates to deform with the mesh). I don’t think it’s a high priority though so don’t hold your breath.

RickyBlender and Secrop, thank you both very much for your efforts!

The thing is I’m using Octane Render, and it literally doesn’t know anything about Cycles nodes - and I’m not smart enough to figure out how to translate the setup from Cycles to Octane, if possible at all. :frowning:

Thank you Ace Dragon, I just tried it out and it did produce the most clean turn, I’ve seen yet - but still just a single one. I tried various Transform nodes but they didn’t do much (again, I’m using Octane, and it doesn’t recognize Cycles nodes).

I’ll remember to try manual override from now on, whenever I’m stuck with a limited setting.

As for distortion; I get what you’re saying, but I’ve seen that this can be done in Maya - without affecting the shape of the basic cylinder at all - so I would assume it’s possible in Blender, too.

No, I’m not using procedural textures; just plain png stripes made in Photoshop.

you can also bake the texture result from the workarounds here presented, into a texture that octane can use. :wink:
Don’t know if there’s a way to do it directly on Octane, but baking should definitly work.

Sorry for not getting back, but I ended up watching Narcos and I couldn’t get out of it :smiley: But Secrop got the idea and presented nodes pretty much as I had imagined - my own wouldn’t differ by much.

I have nod idea what Octane can do, but initially wasn’t mentioned and Cycles show up as renderer of choice in you screenshot.

Another approach might be to simply skew the UVs - unwrap to a rectangular grid as you would a cylinder, although sounds like more work. Approach used depends on renderer I guess, adding work into UVs or nodes, or by adding geometry.

Thank you Secrop, I’ll give it a try.

Haha yeah, Netflix is the root of all evil. But again, thank you for your time!

Yes, I should’ve mentioned Octane; I just didn’t think it would be relevant - I thought I had just missed a modifier, or something…