How do you save an animation as an ".avi" file?

I realize how n00bish this sounds, but I really have no idea how to get this to work.

I try clicking “save image”, but it tells me to “decide what image type (f10)”.

What do I need to do to save my rendered animation?

OK, a rundown of blender’s image buffers:

When you render an image, it renders it into memory. Blender has two image buffers that it can render to - you can switch between them with J (so you can easily compare two images to see what different settings do). If you choose an image filetype in renderbuttons (F10), and press F3 you can save the image in the currently selected image buffer.

However, when rendering an animation, there’s no way that blender would be able to store the whole thing in memory (the image buffers are uncompressed, so at DVD quality you’re looking at around 40MB per second just for the image data, plus 40MB/s for the zbuffer and more for whatever other information the ImBuf stores…) so it writes each frame to disk as it renders it. To do this it has to know where to store them - the top box in the Output panel in renderbuttons controls this. Also, you can set the save type to either images or a movie type - if you pick images each frame will be stored in a seperate file (called an “image sequence”). The “Extensions” button makes it add the .png to the end of png files, etc.
For example, if you set it to “PNG”, with Extensions on and render a 100 frame movie with the output set to “C:\render\movie” it will render to “C:\render\movie0001.png”, “C:\render\movie\0002.png”, etc. If you then change the format to avi it will render to “C:\render\movie0001_0100.avi”

HTH

You can also render your entire movie as individual frames and comp them together in Blender’s sequence editor. Check the online documentation or your Blender manual to see more info about it.

Chapter 25 - Blender’s Sequence Editor

It should also be noted that recent work for the Google Summer of Code has been done to incorporate ffmpeg into Blender so that linux users can also export codec encoded files like DivX etc. Good news! :slight_smile: