How does Blender Combine the Refraction Pass?

lol…this just made my day! :-))))

Glass can be quite tricky, and it depends a lot on your scene and what you want to do. I do not talk about that specifically in the video.
Depending on what you want to do this might be a solution:
use camera-mapping / uv-projection to get your background image on a helper-plane or geometry and render your transparent glass object against that. Then use nodes and renderlayers to add that on top of your footage and maybe use a shadowcatcher plane to get some shadows and AO below your object.
Otherwise you can try to separate the layer with your object into passes and add/screen the refraction, specular and reflection on top of your footage.

… and me blush…
:smiley:

Well my problem is getting the transparency to be visualized correctly when the passes are recombined. I don’t see a specific transparency pass. So I’m guessing it’s part of refraction?

Or am I missing something?

oh, yeah, transparency is refraction and needs to be added in the end. that and the whole passes topic is covered by the tutorial, btw. :slight_smile:

oh btw, nichod, awesome python tutorials! really useful and exactly what coding noobs like me need!

Hmm. Adding isn’t giving me a accurate result, so I’m guessing I’m doing something wrong. I added refraction last in the light render layers. If I have multiple passes with separate lights on different render layers do I combine (add) refraction last in each individual pass? After color adjustments or before? And do I do a refraction pass for AO?

Thanks. I have blenderscripts.org and eventually soon will be doing a lot more and redoing those.

No, no, not at all. Your detailed explanations is what’s great about your tuts.
Don’t change a thing. They’re just right.
That technique just don’t work on wives.
Really don’t change.

Hi

I have a problem with reflection pass. I can’t combine passes to look the same as combined image.

Screen shot:
http://www.shrani.si/f/3X/Lx/1KU4HdJB/passes.jpg