how does google work ?

now , how can uncle google search the web that fast , i don’t get it , does it store and host the sites on it ?

the strange thing that somtimes when you search for images sometimes , the thumbnail is available , but the image isn’t , and sometimes the thumbnail + image are available but the site isn’t .
thanks .

they use spiders, and a cache , and a fast reference algorithm.

I have a feeling they are somewhat supernatural too, even my ISP webpage is not as fast.

Elves, lots and lots of tiny little elves. They search the internet (the ones who are old enough search that part of the Internet) and then type up little things on each site they find. When you google something it asks one of the master elves to find you information.

Seriously, though, what Mmph! said. Also they use a technology to allow them to follow links in pages, though I suppose most engines use this now.

Google indexes a lot of pages, which allows it to have that nifty little cache feature (though its not as good as archive.org’s). Its much faster to store things on the local server and pull them off than to go make a request to another server to get the images or search results and put them up which is why some image searches don’t work.

Coincidentally, a google search may help clear this up a little bit better than we can.

What?! I thought it was all the work of pigeons!

True, but pigeons are the rats of the sky and rats live in colonies with lots of other little rats, just like elves. Hence Pigeon = Rat = Elves… Therefore pigeons are the elves of sky. Don’t forget, just like the Keebler Elves they like to spread their “sweet treats” everywhere.:stuck_out_tongue:

google helped me find Mr. Bean’s baby pictures

http://outofhere.info/images/funnyhello/3f.jpg

It’s powered by the magic of Map Reduce.

Martin

i forgot to ask , how do they make money ?

they use spiders, and a cache , and a fast reference algorithm.

and what is that supposed to mean ?
thanks all .

[EDIT]

thanks theeth , reading it .

they make money from ads and from the controle of infomation. just like you tube the more infomation they have on there users the more they are worth. google also take money from web sites to make them come up at the top of the page when shearched for.
edit
a spider is like a program that links to one page scrolls down the page collecting info from that page and also looking for links on that page. once it has a new link it repeats the proccess again until it finds a new link.

Very impressive!

is there a special hardware they use ?

yeah, you can find it here.

More (well…) seriously: http://infolab.stanford.edu/pub/voy/museum/pictures/display/0-4-Google.htm

Martin

there recently was an article about it in a magazine I like. Muse yes childish but interesting stories. Anyway how they did it was by keywords and rating. Whatever site had the top hits for that search went on top of the search list when someone searched for it. Like I google cheese and click on bob’s cheese which isn’t on top just a little bit below well another 100 hundred people go to bob’s cheese and bob’s cheese rating goes up so when his rating goes up he goes up the list. Sorry if you allready knew this google confuses me too.

waht I think.
Each day it crowls all the IP addresses available in the world . Reads META TAG in the html pages and update its database. To understand. Just create a web page with different meta tage and put in the internet. and in a week’s time you will be on google’s database.

woh , but that was in 1996 , how many of these do they use now :evilgrin: .
thanks for the info
that’s about the HDDs , but what about the process power , how can millions use google at the same time , and it’s not down like the other sites .
are the computers different ? , i tried to search , but didn’t find this specific thing .

waht I think.
Each day it crowls all the IP addresses available in the world . Reads META TAG in the html pages and update its database. To understand. Just create a web page with different meta tage and put in the internet. and in a week’s time you will be on google’s database.

but i remember that i created a thread in a forum , and searched for it after 5 minutes in google and it was there . , only five minutes

thanks again .

On some forum it keeps special track like our forum, and some very active forums.