How does 'linking' work?

(Cognis) #1

I am trying to move my understanding of the GE up one notch, and I just came upon ‘linking’, which seems to be really useful! Only, I have no idea how it works in detail, and there are, sadly, few or no tutorials or even detailed information out there on this feature, at least nothing I can find by googling or the Blender Wiki :frowning:

Sp I turn to the good people here! Can anyone explain how I link information (and what information!) to different things, and what I can use it for? I seem to understand that I can jump to completely different scenes and carry for example the state of a property along. Can I bring a property along into a ‘new game’ (selecting the Start New Game actuator, that is)? What strangeness has anyone created using linking?

As usual, my gratitude, in advance :yes:

0 Likes

(S_Cross) #2

I don’t know that much about ‘linking’ (control L) myself. But I will at least try to help.

Linking gives us a major advantage. For example, if you are using Python scripts for camera movement and you change scenes, you would almost have to use one Camera script for each scene, which would be a mess and create larger files sizes. (You might could use global variables to get around it, but I’m not sure).

Anyway, when you link the objects, the objects have the same name and the same properties. Therefore, you need only one script for the camera. When you move the object in one scene, you probably have noticed it moves the object in all the ‘linked’ scenes.

As for carrying an object property over to another scene–I think it will reset to default property value. I’m not sure and I haven’t really messed with the different linking options.

Well, I hope this explains a little. If you search for my FPSSA.blend, you’ll find a fairly good example linked objects. I’m sure their are a few other examples as well.

0 Likes

(Cognis) #3

Sounds good! Do you have a direct link somewhere?

0 Likes

(Ace Dragon) #4

Linking to scene is useful, sure the character’s start point must be in the same spot in every scene, if you need to change his logic you don’t need to do it for all the scenes.

0 Likes