How does that scaling option in the Mapping node work?

So if I have a mapping node, and Im trying to scale a texture (for example) with it… I just fiddle with the x,y,z values of the scaling tab.

But im not sure how this works…Is it mutiplying the current size with the number that you input?

Which would mean that anything above 1 would make the texture bigger, and everything between 0 and 1 will make it smaller. But what does a negative value mean then?

And for textures… what would the Z value mean in the scaling (since theyre basically images =flat )

and does this change if you use different texture coordinate options? Cause im always struggling with getting my textures to fit on my surfaces (scale wise)

thanks!

Yes.

Which would mean that anything above 1 would make the texture bigger, and everything between 0 and 1 will make it smaller. But what does a negative value mean then?

Scaling with negative values will flip the texture.

And for textures… what would the Z value mean in the scaling (since theyre basically images =flat )

There are 3D textures… But for common image textures scaling the Z does nothing.

and does this change if you use different texture coordinate options? Cause im always struggling with getting my textures to fit on my surfaces (scale wise)

Perhaps you need to create textures more appropriate for your objects. It’s quite difficult to have one texture that fits good in every object withou any tweaking.

Ok that’s clear then, thank you!