How 'friendly' is elysiun ?

I’ve been wondering about the first impression people get of elysiun and its users when starting to use this forum…

I’ve used quite a few forums both CG related and non-CG related and most of them are infested with some arrogant ppl who can make forum-life really crappy for some…

Elysiun falls into one of THE - if not THE most friendly forums I’ve ever used … you can tell from the way ppl behave, there’s almost no flaming or inults here…

They’ve been good to me as long as I’ve been here.
I really have to give the people here credit. They have always made me feel welcome, and gone out of their way to answer questions for me.
If you notice, In the Q & A section (Blender General), A question hardly ever goes unanswered. That’s rare. And many are answered within an hour! It’s always been that way too.

Indeed… it doesn’t happen very often on forums that ppl get treated consistently good… It’s also good that flaming gets reacted upon kind of fast…

Yeah, I like Elysiun. It’s not too nicey nicey either. What I mean is you are allowed to express a fairly open view of things without people complaining too much about political correctness.

I tried to be part of a forum that gives you free hosting if you fit into their eutopian community. You basically have to post and be accepted by everyone else. Anyway, I made a comment about women, which was meant as a joke and was flamed by a feminist who said she was extremely offended by it and I got booted.

I’m glad I did really because I was putting way too much in and not getting anything back. That’s when I found this place after first visiting www.Blender.org. Home, sweet home. :slight_smile:

Yeah, I like Elysiun. It’s not too nicey nicey either. What I mean is you are allowed to express a fairly open view of things without people complaining too much about political correctness.

Often when you know that someone hasn’t read anything from the doc, there’s actually ppl seriously answering the question… Like ‘how do I make a cube…’

I tried to be part of a forum that gives you free hosting if you fit into their eutopian community. You basically have to post and be accepted by everyone else. Anyway, I made a comment about women, which was meant as a joke and was flamed by a feminist who said she was extremely offended by it and I got booted.

Some forums also work with point systems (donations)… that means that some users get more power as they get more points… but unlike elysiun, users are allowed to donate to other users… so it becomes a friend-helps-fiend thing… wich creates complete wars over at some forums…

Luckily stock answers for common questions aren’t that hard to find.
Just point people to the infamous https://blenderartists.org/forum/viewtopic.php?p=141621#141621 and it will all be fine.

Well, my “symbols” thread not withstanding. :expressionless:
We’re not prone to doing that here, fortunately.

For contrast, look at the http://gug.sunsite.dk/forum/ fir Gimp. Just about every post in the Windows section ends in a pissed off newbie because of the elitist Linux crowd. Pretty sad.

I should post an elysiun link there and shame em :slight_smile: I have yet to see a truly snobby linux user here, you guys rock.

Just had a look at that - pretty shocked at that attitude. Shoudn’t matter which OS you use.

Yes, elysiun is friendly!
:smiley:

Brian

lol

linux and Mac people get especially over protective and angry about OS’s.

(that is a blatent stereotype so :P)

Alltaken

Well often it is when searched by some window user :wink:

I remember of a cross-thread between fr.comp.sys.mac, fr.comp.os.linux & fr.comp.os.windows on usenet (it was pure troll from a window user) which reached more than 2000 posts, we happilly made friends with the linux guys beating the hell out of the win ones. :stuck_out_tongue:

I think Linux users and Mac users get along better now that the Mac OS is unix based because there is a now a lot of common ground. Users of the old Mac OS (of which I was one) were largely shunned by all. If Apple hadn’t switched when they did, I would be using Linux right now.

I personally don’t have a problem what software people use so long as it’s Linux or Mac, heh. Na, Windows is ok, I just wish that there was a more even market share. Say even 50% unix based, 50% Windows but it’s now like 90%-10% in favour of Windows. Having such a huge market share leads businesses to only target Windows and I think that annoys people more than the thought that people are using an inferior OS (in some peoples’ opinion of course - I shall not confirm nor deny if it’s my opinion :smiley: ).

Anyway, back to Elysiun, the thing I think I like most is the fast responses as rwv01 said. Even when you ask a daft question, you can be set on your way. I know that with Maya, when I used their user to user discussion, I would often be there for days waiting on any reply and rarely did I get my problem solved. In fact, I bet there are still people with the same problems since I stopped posting about 2 months ago.

Actually I just noticed that Maya 6 unlimited is coming out for OS X soon - about time. That’s another reason I like this whole Blender idea. If I need a feature, I could probably get a script add-on or some tips on how to do it from even the developers of Blender who occasionally pop in.

I think Linux users and Mac users get along better now that the Mac OS is unix based because there is a now a lot of common ground. Users of the old Mac OS (of which I was one) were largely shunned by all. If Apple hadn’t switched when they did, I would be using Linux right now.
[/quote]

It was when Os X preview was in beta, MacOs was still the right old one, but even if the user experience was very different, both systems were recognized early by the other side as valuable so we decided to just attack the win guys :wink:

As I was saying around the same time :
http://groups.google.com/groups?q=rhapsody+in+blue+group:fr.comp.sys.mac+author:jlp%40nerim.net&hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&selm=1eqj5lx.uw4pyj1p31inaN%jlp%40nerim.net&rnum=1

There is some French words in the post but you should understand the meaning, and I was not deceived :wink:

this somehow remind of a certain community sometimes…can,t remember which community through…maybe I’ll remember one day…untill then…hope they’ll change…

Aren’t we too protective of blender? yes we are

People seem to ignore me here. I don’t know why.

For some reason, I always manage to say the wrong thing in these forums. I either say something that peple ignore completely, or they react in a critized manner.

I guess my opinions are quite different from a lot of the people here. Maybe I’m just not good at constructing a good argument.

Hey, I’m not ignoring you, look :slight_smile: . I see you have your own forum, is that your plan to get more people to talk to you? I don’t know if that would make people angry or not - it kinda looks like you’re trying to lure people away from Elysiun. Maybe not, but why do you have a separate forum when you could just post stuff here?

I’ve looked at both R2Blend’s posts and SoloCreator’s and it looks like you do ok in posts to me - I’ve seen you both make some good comments/posts. I don’t know why you feel ignored or criticized. Do you have any specific examples?

One possible suggestion to SoloCreator could be to change your sig. “Tell me what you think but if you don’t like it, I don’t wanna know.” It looks like you’re saying it jokingly but some people might think you don’t handle criticism well and so then ignore you.

I really don’t know, I’m just offering suggestions why. Again if you had some specific examples, it might help. One other thing is I don’t know how often you guys post in the off-topic area. I think people who constantly post there and not in the Blender sections are considered less highly. I’m sure I’ve seen you post elsewhere though so maybe that’s not it.

Hey, I’m not ignoring you, look :slight_smile: . I see you have your own forum, is that your plan to get more people to talk to you? I don’t know if that would make people angry or not - it kinda looks like you’re trying to lure people away from Elysiun. Maybe not, but why do you have a separate forum when you could just post stuff here?

I’ve looked at both R2Blend’s posts and SoloCreator’s and it looks like you do ok in posts to me - I’ve seen you both make some good comments/posts. I don’t know why you feel ignored or criticized. Do you have any specific examples?

One possible suggestion to SoloCreator could be to change your sig. “Tell me what you think but if you don’t like it, I don’t wanna know.” It looks like you’re saying it jokingly but some people might think you don’t handle criticism well and so then ignore you.

I really don’t know, I’m just offering suggestions why. Again if you had some specific examples, it might help. One other thing is I don’t know how often you guys post in the off-topic area. I think people who constantly post there and not in the Blender sections are considered less highly. I’m sure I’ve seen you post elsewhere though so maybe that’s not it.[/quote]

Thank you! I feel so much better! http://4d5.net/boardimages/grin.gif http://4d5.net/boardimages/grin.gif http://4d5.net/boardimages/grin.gif http://4d5.net/boardimages/grin.gif http://4d5.net/boardimages/grin.gif http://4d5.net/boardimages/grin.gif http://4d5.net/boardimages/grin.gif

Well, I think that all of us are made to feel sooo stooopid %| by this technology :wink: frequently enough that we keenly remember the experience. And how many times has “the answer we’re looking for” come from one of these forums? For me, the answer is nearly always. So you take, and you try to give back. It works.

Sometimes I think elYsiun is too friendly in regards to criticising work. I hate to see something that has blatant flaws replied to with, "Great! Photorealistic and flawless! OMG!!!1!"x10

Also, it’s my opinion that if a newb asks how to make a cube and you refer them to a manual, and then they ask how to use a UVSphere, they’re probably gonna give up whether you help them or not because that is an obvious indication that they aren’t going to try hard enough to ever do anything that someone won’t spell out for them. Lazy people don’t deserve help.