How long did it take you to learn Blender?

I originally downloaded Blender in the days before it was first closed-sourced (late 90s? early '00? I forget – I know a friend of mine had MAX 2.5 and everyone was jealous), got frustrated with the interface, and ended up buying TrueSpace4 instead. I picked it up again after 2.3, and have been tinkering ever since. I’m reasonably competent but I still wouldn’t say I “know” it. However, note that I have not been focused on learning Blender, it’s just something I enjoy exploring in my free time, so I might’ve taken a smidge longer than your average user. :stuck_out_tongue:

You can check my forum join date. This is about a month after I first picked up Blender. Fortunately, I quickly realised that searching for good tutorials will massively increase your learning speed. No matter how simple a tutorial may seem, I’ve learned something from every one I’ve done.

I made a fairly decent achiviz garden a few months ago, but this is the only thing I’ve actually got round to ‘finishing’. I learned a lot about library linking in that project from how not to do it. :wink:

If you search the forums for “Plurdo”, you might find a little green man that I made fairly early on in my Blender usage. This kinda chronicles my organic modeling beginnings if you look at the post dates.

I’m just an amateur that messes about in my free time, and I’ve spent a while getting into the scripting side of things though, so my artistic progress has kinda slowed.

Blender is a big program. I don’t think any one person has fully mastered everything that you can do… Organic modeling, scenery modeling, texturing, animation, realistic rendering, game making, sequencing, compositing, physical simulations, scripting and everything else that I don’t have the time to list.

The important thing is to have fun and do those things that interest you. That way you stay interested and keep learning.

Happy Blending. :slight_smile:

I’ve been at it for a little over a year. Based on my progress to date, I’m expecting one more year to get me to a reasonable level of competence.

Best wishes,
Matthew

With the exception of Lancer, (Kudos, sir!), everyone here feels nooby-ish, don’t let it intimidate you! I’ve been working with it for 5 months now, and like everyone here, I’m still not learn’t on Blender…at all. But I love it, it’s my 3D environment of choice now, and after I read a lot of tutorials, I’m comfy with the interface. Now I get mad when my games and paint programs don’t use the same hot-keys!

I’ve modelled faces, nude bodies, monsters, guitars, spaceships, galaxies, nuclear explosions, it does (almost) everything I need it to. (waiting for 2.5) .

If you’re stuck on something, come here, these people are GREAT. Otherwise, just keep at it, it’ll click. I give you a week, before it grows on you!

Maybe it is a got idea to start shortly with blender 2.5, it is stable enought to play with and so many things would change in aspect of 2.49.

If you have experience in other 3D software you are faster. I saw some guys work out astonished models after a few weeks with blender coming fro cinema 4d or 3dmax.

Reading, then reading and then to proofread wikis, tutorials and books.

Good speed! for you, mib

I have been using blender nearly 7 years (ever since 2.31a) and when i first opened it i got scared and didn’t open it for a week then i did the old quickstart and model/texture a castle tuts and i was going great and in those days there was no wiki or anything and tuts were few and far between so it took about a month for me to get around in it, but in this day and age of blender i would say 1-2 weeks you will start getting decent and will know your way around

ive been using blender for years and im still learning new things.

I tried learning it for ages, but only when i bought the essential blender and got about half way through ws I really able to do anything useful… I had learned lightwave in the meantime though so that was an advantage I suppose

coming from using other 3d apps… learning how to do the basics in blender didn’t take more than a day or two… but for more specific stuff… it takes a while to learn… but generally I wouldn’t bother learning specific techniques unless you are going to use them in a project. So the learning never ends.

I joined in 2006 , i was learning by miself nearly everyday for 6 months , then i could do some allready cool stuff.

But i am still learnig more advanced stuff , u never stop learning. u never should ;D

I have started using Blender about half a year ago but stopped using for quite a long time because of school. I would say with the help of “Essential Blender” (excellent book, a bit outdated though) you can easily learn most of the basics in 1 to 2 months. It took me about 1 day for each chapter (things like mesh Modelling, Sculpting, Compositing for example) and then I played around with Blender. My first real project took about 6-7 days (http://blenderartists.org/forum/showthread.php?t=165025 if you’re interested) and I think looking back I could have gotten to that level in about 2 month if I would have devoted several hours per day to Blender. One thing you have too keep in mind is that the learning is the real fun, not the actual doing. After having learned the basic interface you can do wonderful things and still discover more and more in each project.

I started with blender about 3 years ago. At first I was scared of UVmapping, then I was scared of animations with particles, then I was again scared of armature rigging, then I was scared of Nodes, and one day I opened the wiki and started experimenting myself and learned all those things and since them I am not scared anymore. The best way to learn blender is to make things, even If they scare you.

pd: I started with the more difficult things first, easier things later xd

Still learning. Did I say blender interface scared the hell out of me too? :wink:

I had the benefit of uni and a deadline for a project when I started learning Blender. My professor lauded my interest in moving from Maya to Blender and made it a requirement for my project.

The first week, my brain hurt as it rewired to the Blender methodology … afterwards however, it started to click. So, after about 3 weeks of daily work and I felt that I had learned enough of Blender’s fundamental concepts to start getting into slightly more advanced topics without absolute basics holding me up.

It’s funny looking back on some of my early forum posts, and being stumped about toggling “local” and “global” views with the Backslash key. :slight_smile:

I started learning Blender about 8 years ago if I remember well, and I’m still learning today …
I’d say it took me about 3-4 years to be able to do characters.

I’m a year into it and still learning (material and compositing nodes being the main big hurdle I still have to jump), but I know enough now to operate most of a game pipeline’s art assets. It’s worth considering that I had a background in 3DS Max and Maya already, though, so it’s something I jumped into some ease; I already knew modeling, rigging, unwrapping, what have you, so I just had to figure out equivalent buttons.

In other words, “Learning 3D” and “Learning a specific 3D program” are two really different monsters.

I think thats where I am mainly looking at.

for me… I’m not just learning blender… I’m learning 3d…

Its not like learning gimp, and then learning photoshop… its like learning 2d graphics…

I have no doubts that I could easily switch 2d editing programs and learn others fairly quickly… because the functionality of them are basicly the same… only the buttons you press changes. Thats why I finally stuck with blender… the price, the community, the speed of the program, and the resources it uses on my pc… if I ever need to learn a different app… the “3d foundation” will already be there.

Heh thanks, you can put me in the “feeling noobie” group as well… I could see this thread resulting in a stream of “you are always learning” responses so thought I’d instead cut to the chase. When I saw what I knew from having graduated in Maya and realised that I could do pretty much all of it in Blender, I figured out that even if there were big sections of Blender I hadn’t “covered” I must at least be well on my way. Everyone should put the modesty thing to rest and realise “hey, look what I can do”. :slight_smile:

Well said, Lancer!

I’m an old 3D artist. Truespace and then 3DStudio, and now Blender. I haven’t released anything I’m proud of to this group, but ya know, I’ve spent the last week not working on any of my three good unfinished projects, but instead, just learning Blender.

I’m making these fantastic “Universes”…groups of particle systems with physics, like galaxies that self-orbit and interact. I don’t save any of them but spend an hour or so each day creating a new one while I drink my coffee in the morning. Each day they get a little better and a little more realistic.

Today, I learned to use the Node Editor to render my “Universe” in anaglyphic 3D…to be used with those Red/Green 3D glasses. We got some with a recent movie I bought…My CPU says OUCH! but my kids are donning the glasses and saying “ooooh, neat!” and reaching out at my monitor to grab my little galaxies.

Point, click, break it, crash it, start over. This ain’t any of my old 3D programs for sure! They’re little steps you have to take, but that’s progress. I guess we’re all noobs! :slight_smile: Take it at your own pace!

Hey. I just joined the forums today, but i say im pretty good at Blender and it has been two years. i was ok after year one, but today i can model pretty much whatever i want pretty fast. check out the gallery on my website to see some of my work. also, watch “Trial and ERROR” www.luclay.com

Blender was first released as Open Source in October 2002, seven years ago. Your join date is before then… were you using Blender as a commercial version?
From my membership here (Jan 2006) I can estimate I must have first started using Blender around 2005, given that I’d made several vain attempts before finally reading some tutorials and ultimately feeling like joining the forum. It certainly seems a lot longer in my memory.