How long do you work on a project at one time?

I just started with blender and I can only sit for a couple hours then I get impatient and jump over to some gaming, LOL.
What is the average time you guys sit and work on a project at once? 2 hours or 5 hours? I can see if you already know blender that would make it much easier but I am still learning the interface and such so maybe thats why I get impatient.
:-?

I spent almost a month on and off my TIE Interceptor.

Expect to spend at least a few days (solid) on the average project if you want it to look good. Works in Progess is a great forum for getting feed back. Until they-and I-are happy with my work, and my original intent for the scene is represented in whole in the scene do I post it in Finished Projects.

It’s ok to only spend a few hours on some things at first. As progress challenge yourself once in a while with a scene or model and get solid feedback and critiqueing (don’t be afraid to heavy feedback like that, it’s hard at first…it was for me, but it’s helped a lot!) on it. Otherwise you never grow.

As you progress you’ll gain a real passion for finishing and polishing your work, no matter the size.

Hope that helps.

If it’s for work: 6-7 hours a day with little breaks here and there for lunch and to take care of pressing stuff. And quickly days turn into weeks…

For fun: just a few hours here and there. Between raising two kids, renovating my house and a bazillion hobbies that’s all I have time for.

Aye at the beginning, as you are learning you will probably end up hopping off to something else, like gaming. I’ve found that as I’ve been doing this I’ve spent less time gaming and more time modelling, to the point I don’t play games much anymore hehe. As you become more comfortable with the software and workflow you will produce things faster and better and so will be more motivated to keep on working.

To answer the actual question, hmmm I tend to work on and off on a couple of things so it can be a few weeks (not really on any deadline either).

Between school and other menial tasks, I may spend an hour or so a day for several weeks up to a few months on a project (or even a single object).

Your skills improve by leaps and bounds when you demand perfection from yourself.

As the folks already said it depends on the details of your project. Some of my projects are simple and only involve creating extra elements to fit into a larger scene environment. I always tell people to create worlds with design topics that are diverse enough to cover many different types of subject matter.

For instance, create a street scene with all of the fixings, lamps to faux building fronts. Then create other scene elements later as need be or whenever the art moves you to create something.

It’s important to layout the style of the overall design in a well planned manner. Is your environment cartoony or photoreal, etc? Is your environment designed based on a time period like the 70’s or in the year 3050? How do things work in your environment? Are things powered by voice command or by a river and water wheel?

Most of the steps to building a 3d project involve taking a logical approach to creating all of the parts that make up what we see defining our visual goal. Part for part you build and piece everything together, add textures, lighting, etc. to these pieces. Then you frame it all with a camera and render.

If your scene involves animating objects you have to plan out your approach to setting up these objects for animation. Think about how to connect certain Blender animation features together to create the motion that you need. Think about how you will choreograph animated objects in your scene to the timing looks right. Animation can also require lots of preparation and a deep understanding of mesh editing principles in relationship to the type of animation that will be used.

Before you do a major project in Blender, do something small like a simple scene of a very low detail fishing boat in a goldfish tank. Add some twist up in methodology to make the scene interesting with this simple topic. Make the topic of your scene fun by adding a worm in your boat that escapes from a nearby can of fishing worms. Your worm can catch a fish.

Hey, it could work. But then again theres more than one way to catch a fish so you have plenty of options to get creative and keep it simple for now. You can explore every feature that Blender has to offer doing a simple project working only on the weekends and still produce something that people can enjoy.

This project could take a day a week or only a few hours to complete. It depends on how detailed your project needs to be to work. You project time may also be determined by the amount of work that you have to do to plan and build all of the parts.

Blend on!

For my Alien queen i spend more than 150 hours spreaded over 6 weeks.
My highest straight working peroid was about 16h for a video which i did long ago.
But that’s just work in front of Blender, not counting the thinking periods i usually need to imagine my goal better or just to get motivated.

Longest project I was invloved with took 8 months (day in day out about 8 hours a day during weekdays).
The longest time behind the machine for a single project is 56 hours. Some deadlines are just that though.

5minute attention span here, i have spent 18 hours solid on a project with X-W and 3 days on some star wars thing when i was 15 or 16 :stuck_out_tongue:

Alltaken

I depends completely on the project. At work I’m currently doing very small animations for websites - and I mostly have to finish them in a few hours. The biggest CG project I participated in was a short movie we worked on for about 7 months (in a team of 15 people).

The biggest problem I see with private projects is that there is no ‘real’ deadline - I find it difficult to push myself to produce something and get out of the ‘Ah, let’s model another head’-stage :D.

Fortunately I finally found a project that seems to be worth the effort - so I get back to Blender to model some facial expressions for my Mississippi Swamp Killer ‘Jake’…

:wink:

Time is not the main problem for me but progress. I have a bad dose of perfectionism so I can spend hours working on Blender straight and end up with the same piece of crap I started with, only each of the vertices have been moved by 0.001 Blender units or something. I don’t mind the time but I need to be able to accept the work at various stages so I can move on to complete it.

Another problem is I keep changing my mind about where I want the project to go. That leads to all sorts of trouble.

A lot of my early projects took less then a day to complete, I didn’t even save them. Average, maybe a day or so. I spent a week on one project, i’ll post the link if you want to know what that project was.

You have to turn off Elysiun :wink: when a deadline is near.

So please someone tell me why I’m here right now!!

Why exactly is it that you don’t (or didn’t) save your .blends?

LOL! I know exactly how you feel. During the first few months of my Blendering I was so impatient. I wished you could just type in [model a car with large tires, groovy looking wheels, ect.] and it would work! Now, i have overcome impatience. I’ve been working on my new StarGate project for almost a month, using it up for every bit of my leisure time. If you count what small part of the current version still exists, it’s months! It’s my biggest project yet, but I’m just patient and concentrate on one part at a time (not to say I occasionly loose my mind and run off to play Metriod!).

Just keep in mind patience is the key to good artwork. Yes there is a small bit of natrual talent there, but it’s just like when I learned drawing. I have no natrual talent when it comes to drawing (at least not much) but with expereince and patience I came to be able to produce near photorealistic results.

-Lando

Save First, Save Often™

Why exactly is it that you don’t (or didn’t) save your .blends?[/quote]
I save them in 3 different files now, only when I do a new project and want to save them I over-write them. :wink:

You can organize a viewing.
Does not need to be big or something but lent a projector and a big garage to show your project. Invite the family and neighbours.

Then there is no way back.

On a web page. And tell your audience you’ll update once a month.