How long does it take to learn character modeling?

I’ve been trying to learn it for 4 months now, and i can only make some bald heads.

I made these heads last week, using the same ref image, i’m pretty satisfied with the result.
But when i think about it, 4 months just to make these, should i be satisfied with these results or should i practice even harder?

I also did this head a while ago, which i’m also pretty satisfied with.

This is my very first post on BA, so please forgive me if there’s a mistake in my writing.

Not hard at all,maybe a month or a few with daily practice.

Download rigged models and study their topology,create your own model and compare them until you’re happy (rigged models are optimized for animation so their topology around joints are usually better then still models.

How long does it take to learn character modeling?

A whole life. You never stop learning :slight_smile:

So don’t be impatient. Improvements comes with time. And don’t forget about the sculpting part to bring the details in.

First of, don’t model only in ortographic view. Also use perspective mode.
Then change the viewport lens (N-panel >> View >> Lens) to something higher as 35.
Read the first part of this article: http://cgcookie.com/blender/2014/11/24/cinematography-tips-cg-artists/

Another recommended read: http://www.thundercloud-studio.com/index.php?page=tutorial/ModelingTutorial/headModeling

Also use the sculpt part as mentioned by Tiles.
Sculpt course by Kent Trammell for example: http://cgcookie.com/blender/cgc-courses/creating-a-realistic-head-in-blender/

And last: follow tutorials an practice, practice and more importantly … practice :yes:

Happy blending
JoHal

Learning to do it doesn’t take long, but mastering it takes a while. Every character you model–in fact, every thing you model–presents its own challenges. I’ve been working at learning modeling for over four years and I still learn something new with every model I build.

Of course, Blender’s ever-growing toolkit means you’ll never really ‘finish’ learning how to model, anyway. Each new tool brings a change to the workflow.

So, don’t worry. Be happy! :slight_smile:

I see, then which is wiser, try to model a complete body, or practice modeling one part of the body (head, arms, etc) until you can get the results that you want?
I’ve been doing the later, which i thought to be better since i wanted to learn it one by one.
But i realize that it wouldn’t help me progress much.

Any thought on this?

Doesn’t really matter from where you start and increase. But a body is made of body parts. So …

What is very important is to have good reference material. Have a look for pages like 3d.sk for example. Beware, nudity. http://www.3d.sk/

Tiles is right.

Currently, I’m building a 4-4-0 steam locomotive from a set of plans. The more parts I build, the better I can see:

• how to change my workflow to make it more efficient,
  • which parts need to be built as two or more meshes combined into one object, and
  • which tools will serve me best in the building of each part.

At the end of the day, if you can say you learned something more about how Blender works, how you yourself work with Blender, or you pick up more general modeling skills, it’s a win.

I would look at it more as of a road rather than destination.

Something to note, being as technical as you could wish for (in Blender) will not help you too much with character modeling. Actually being artistically inclined and well balanced in terms of anatomy and concept design would be much likely a more preferable skill.

And it’s always a case of getting better at all of these.

My breakdown of the skillsets involved would be:- Technical knowhow to be able to (efficiently) achieve your goal.

• Good knowledge of anatomy. Weather it’s a fantasy creature, stylized character or a realistic human, the better your knowledge of anatomy the better it’s gonna look at the end.
  • Solid sense of concept design, still gotta look cool and balanced at the end of the day.

I would also recommend sculpting over traditional poly modeling. The sculpting environment is much more immediate and artistic. Especially Dyntopo, which allows jumping into practices jams without much preparation or technicality involved.

It sure helps if you have fun along the way!

Thank you for the tips!
I’ve tried watching some sculpting tuts several months ago, i find it hard to follow since i just started then. I might want to try doing it again.
Let’s say we’re making cartoon and not the realistic model, what are the benefits of sculpting over poly modeling? Other than it’s faster?

I would also recommend sculpting over traditional poly modeling. The sculpting environment is much more immediate and artistic. Especially Dyntopo, which allows jumping into practices jams without much preparation or technicality involved.

On the other hand, without knowing the traditional box and/or PBP character modelling method you will have a hard time with topology and mesh flow, which is important not just for animation. And a good basemesh makes sculpting much easier too. I still start with a boxmodeled basemesh when i make a character. Imho everybody should’ve done at least one character in the traditional approach. This teaches you really a lot.

In the end, everything working is allowed. And starting directly with sculpting is of course as valid as the polygon method. With ZBrush it’s even the common method nowadays. Just don’t try to rig and animate the sculpted result then. Retopo first ^^

And yeah, don’t forget the fun :slight_smile:

Thanks for the tips! I watched some tuts on sculpting when i first started, i had no idea what was going on since i was a noob.
I might want to do it again. Do you need a drawing tablet to do it? Or using mouse works too? 'Cause ive seen some tuts that says that you’ll need a drawing tablet.

things get to be a nightmare when doing your modeling.

btw MakeHuman has for the last 3-4 years been working on doing a program designed to make human models.

I have been trying to do a clothing set for a while.

A tablet has of course its benefits. But mouse should work just fine. I still work with mouse only.

@robertltux, then you’re doing it wrong somewhere :slight_smile:

How long is a piece of string? The only person who can answer that question is yourself, if someone says it took them 2 months then the chances are you’ll be different… Watch tutorials, get used to sculpting and retopology then start understanding UV unwrapping.
Happy Blending.

am honestly tired of this bullshit answers