how long to get good

Hi, This is a question for the pros and experts out there. How long did it take you to master blender to the point where you could create models like those in the gallery section of blender.org? I am very new to 3d modeling (other than using CAD for part design) and am excited to learn blender but i’m just wondering how long it will take before i can produce something good. Also once you have mastered blender how long does it take you to create a professional looking render?

um id say about 3 weeks. yeah 3 weeks should do it. give or take a day.

and usually the professional stuff can be done in about an hour if youre good. mastering stuff is so much quicker these days.

tom was joking. i’m a noob too but i used to do alot of analog art (drawing, painting, etc…on paper and canvas) what i learned there will still apply. like every other skill it is going to vary person to person, some people will have a natural talent that will allow them to learn very quickly. others will have to work twice as hard to learn half as fast.

but even the untalented can learn, and just like the art i did the more you do it the better you will be. nobody can tell you how long it will take. just keep working at it. even when it seems you’ll never get it. and try not to stress. sometimes we try too hard and that works against us. then when we finally relax it just seems to get much easier all of a sudden.

and the reality is that while i believe we can all get good, i believe few of us can be great. i can draw and paint, but nobody is going to mistake me for devinci. being a master takes a combination of skill and natural talent. the good part you can learn. i think th great part is something some are born with the potential for then have to learn and develop the skill.

I would say about 500 hrs, so the sooner you get to it, the better. if you spent 5 hrs a day for 3 months, and mixed in some artististic talent, I promise you you can get something in the gallery, then its just a matter of choosing projects and sticking to them til there done.

you should start with simple projects, only one a day. do as good a you can in one day, and the next day start on something completely different. Otherwise you will waste a lot of time correcting errors. its like writing, you dont want 5th graders to start their doctoral thesis and just keep making it better each month. or painting, you dont want to try a major masterpiece and keep painting on it till its done. you start with simple things to get a feel for different concepts.

watch video tutorials, theyre the best way to start getting a feel for how you should be working, but go for the modeling ones, and the lighting ones.
after about 200 hrs, you should start texturing.
obviously its an approximation, but I think you´ll roughly agree once you get there, and I promise, you will have a lot of fun along the way.

i got a render into the blender.org gallery after around 2 years of expierence
dunno how many hours that would be from when i started…i dont use blender every day

So you’re asking us how good are you? Learning Blender doesn’t take enormous amounts of time, but also it doesn’t take 2 days. If you have already at least some experience with 3d, it won’ be that hard. I think, depending how many hours you spend a day it might take to from several weeks to years. Pretty vague answer, I know.

The only thing to measure it is actually do. So go and start blending now, and you’ll see how long it takes.

fast to learn, lifetime to master

chillyair, good question, but not one with a simple answer.

First off, I’m no expert in Blender. Far from it. But I’d say it will take you 15-90 days of daily practice/tinkering to reach a level of technical expertise with the software, where you can stop struggling with remembering how to do things, and concentrate on what you’re doing. The more familiar you are with 3D graphics terminilogy and concepts to begin with, the faster it will go.

I say 15 to 90 because it really depends on how much of Blender you need to be comfortable with to achive what you want. For example, I am still completely ignorant of most of the animation features beyond simple keyframing, and I’ve barely touched the nodes system.

Once you reach a level of technical comfort, however, producing “good” renders is not a guarantee. A large part of quality artwork is non software related skills such as composition, which you also need to learn if you are not talented in that department already. My advice would be to read some of the compositional theory and then try to look at as much art (especially the classics) as possible, always keeping in mind the compositional “rules” you have learnt. With enough viewing and analysis, you will eventually absorb the understanding of composition by sheer osmosis.

Beyond that it’s up to you and how interested you are to work on your skills. I read recently that psychologists have figured out that it take 10000 hours of regular practice to become a world class expert in any field. So basically, make sure you enjoy what you’re doing, stick to it, and eventually you’ll be one of the best almost by default.

In summary, I would say mastering Blender, or any other skill for that matter is a simple matter of:
Technical understanding + Artistic insight (Composition) + Persistence

Needles to say it is the third point on which most people fail. I speak from personal experience. :slight_smile:

Best of luck,

Samir

hi, Ive been using blender for around a year and still haven’t gotten anything in the gallery. My problem is i cannot draw, so cannot make good textures, so cannot produce good looking art.
It took me about a month to learn to model, about 6 before i could rig, im still not remotely happy with my texturing or animation skills.

Thanks for all your responses. I figured that once you learned the program that it would depend on your artistic ability to create something good but I just wanted to get a feel for what the average time was for the experts. I used to draw when I was younger so I do have an artistic side in me its just been a while since I exercised it. A few more questions for some of the above posters.

As indicated in my first post I do have experience solid modeling in CAD (specifically PRO/Engineer), and have produced some fairly complex shapes with it. However from the little i’ve already learned I can tell that modeling in blender is alot different. Is there anyone who can tell me if my CAD experience will help me at all?

Can you recommend any text or info that would help me with this?

Thanks

A few things I don’t get (not really pointed at you, hessiess, but your post summed them up very well):

1. Although a gallery entry is nice, I does not really give you a clue “how good” you are. It just means you made one fine piece, but that is all (I can judge since I have two entries, I think :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: ).
  2. Painting or any other traditional skill is not REQUIRED to do good art. It is certainly helpful and in the end, you’ll need to study them as well if you want to make fine pieces of art rather than just models and rigs. But painting skills for textures are really not necessary :wink:

So - vague questions get vague answers. You need to try it for yourself, some people need more time to produce fine pieces, others are fairly quick and some are never able to do it, regardless of their talent. Read through some of the replies here and get to work, if you want to be good seriously. You’ll see if it works out or not.
Sorry if that sounds harsh but being an “artist” can be harsh.

Thank you for all of your replies so far. I figured when I asked the question that it would depend on artistic ability so there would be no definite answer but it helps to see different viewpoints from different people just to get an idea. I used to draw fairly good pictures as a kid so I have an artistic side I just haven’t exercised it in a while. A few more questions regarding some of the posts

As I mentioned in my first post I do have some experience solid modeling with CAD (specifically pro/engineer) however from what i’ve learned it is obvious that modeling in blender is quite different. Is there anybody who has found having knowledge of CAD helpful at any point when using blender?

Can you suggest any reading or websites that would help me with this?

Again Thanks:)

I’d agree with this. Within a week of picking up blender for the first time, I’d managed to learn how to accurately model the shapes that I wanted to. It’s generally a case of how quickly you discover the shortcuts to do what you want; there are many ways to achieve the same results and finding the method that you understand best and can work fastest with will generally determine how long it takes you to become comfortable with the program.

There is pretty much always something that crops up in a project that you won’t be able to do exactly as you intend to at first, no matter how experienced you are - but luckily there is nearly always somebody who has come across the same problem before willing to lend a hand. I’ve always found people here very helpful when I’ve had problems, more so than just reading through the wiki, mainly because alot of the time I didn’t actually know the ‘blender term’ for what I was trying to do, hence searching that was rendered a little useless.

This is a rather well though out and nicely piece of advice. I totally agree with it. For my case and I am no pro - I know some shortcuts.

But I think having the knowledge to know it can be done is also an important factor.

According to the sociologist Malcolm Gladwell, international stardom is attainable after 10 000 hours’ practice.

So the answer to your question is, less time than that.

hessiess,
there are “Game Art” books out there which cover texture creation with Photoshop. I would highly recommend “The Dark Side of Game Texturing” (by David Fransen). The book was published back in 2004 and is packed with easy to follow tutorials on how to create all kinds of textures for what we do.
There are bullet holes, flames, lave, damaged walls, decals …
To make a long story short, 90% of what I know about texturing I got from that book … there are also a lot of shurt tuts on the net covering the same thing but offer a greater choice of software to use … such as GIMP if that is what you are after.

I know the book is old but if you can, hunt it down as it alwasy will be relevant.

I’ve been using blender for about 3 years, and I put out stuff that I think is pretty cool… but I still haven’t made the gallery.

I don’t think making in the gallery should be a good gauge of anyones skill. If you are doing what you love, then that is what is important.

Stills:
http://proviction.com/deathguppie/images/USSOregon.png
http://proviction.com/deathguppie/images/Friend.jpg
http://proviction.com/deathguppie/images/Rasstrel.jpg

Game Characters:
http://proviction.com/deathguppie/images/Soldier-FSpider.jpg

http://proviction.com/deathguppie/images/show-off2L.jpg
http://proviction.com/deathguppie/images/Scene1.jpg

… and that is just some of it… really…

You must wait to the new gui to be good. With the present version of Blender you cant be good. For example because of the strange “right click selecting” thing of Blender.

All 3d programs using left click selecting you know.

And this is only one example.

Thanks for the suggestion :slight_smile:

I think it depends on your definition of good. I believe that I’m good at a very few select things and Ok at most of the rest and bad at some other things.