How long would it take to do something like this?

Well, I actually have already asked this question and got an answer, but I would like more opinions ( actually, it’s just me trying to NOT get demoralized that I won’t be able to do my project in a “realistic” time ).

So, how long would it take for a single person of about 1 year “real” experience (haven’t reached that state) to model, texture and animate a short of about 5 minutes like this cinematic http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A20Dcw9Izyo .

um… there are a lot of factors in how long it takes to do a project. you wont like my honest opinion. but that aside and keeping things as nicely/optimistic as possible, if you put all your free time into a project such as that, again to many factors to know for sure, I’d estamet three to five years of consistent work. (that’s assuming you are doing this as a hobby project, not full time like a job.) not to say it can’t be much done faster by someone with experience, or by a person who is very talented.

My only base for this estimation is what I know of the husband wife combo team that did “Meet Meline!” but they both worked professionally in these fields as far as I know.

edit: and it took them 2 years, you can find it here. http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?f=154&t=868602&highlight=meet

edit 2: ok, so I guess that wasn’t very optimistic sounding, sorry mate.

full time. 2-3 years

edit: This might be an underestimate. But you’ll notice that there isn’t very much actual animation in the warcraft video. It’s mostly camera panning around nicely modelled sets. There is a walk cycle, the killing animation which is done in silhouette and a couple of other simple animations but mostly the warcraft video is modelling and lighting.

I think a lot will depend on your planing of your film. If you do a lot of sketching and have of other pre-production stuff I think you can do it in like three months full time working, of course it depends of what quality you want to have as final result, how many different environment and characters and so on.

But my advice would be to do all kind of preproduction before you even touch Blender.

Btw, you should check out the book How to do a short animations from start to finish. It’s avaible as an e-book on here: http://books.google.com/books?id=z1_mzwtiA-kC&dq=how+to+create+a+short+animations+from+start+to+finish&printsec=frontcover&source=bn&hl=en&ei=ZLJ1TIy7KMSOOKTIqeEG&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=4&ved=0CCEQ6AEwAw#v=onepage&q&f=false

I think 2-3 years is overstated. Sure if you don’t have it planned out and are just making it up as you go that will easily turn into years, but if you’ve got concepts, storyboards/script and whatnot ready it’s just a matter of modeling, texturing, lighting, animating, and rendering the shots you already have planned.
Now it was mostly close up shots of highly textured and complexly lit objects so if you really want that quality exactly most of your time would be spent modeling/texturing and then rendering would probably require an external farm. But for a one person short it’s highly acceptable and very easy to get NEAR the same quality with much less need to worry about those drawbacks if you use workarounds and shortcuts and plan the animation intelligently knowing ahead of time that everything on camera is going to take weeks and months of work so if it doesn’t show up on camera don’t model it.

I’d recommend going for a stylized look. This style isn’t even photo-real but it looks like it’s along those lines and even for major VFX companies they don’t always pull it off well wheras if you set out to do something in a more stylized fashion to begin with it’s much easier to do right and then focus more on what’s really important i.e. animation/storytelling (presumably)

There’s a lot of options available for making something that looks really good that can be done in a reasonable amount of time. I like to use Raytracing light a lot for example myself, but I don’t necessarily need AO, or Global Illumination, or volumetric light or anything else fancy to generally meet my standards… You should focus more on trying to create a good story/animation because if you try to just make a computer graphics effects demo it’ll take you years just to match the quality of Pixar, ILM, or Blizzard and by then they’ll have raised the bar anyway. That’s my advice.
Most people in and around the CG community anyway having seen what artists of varying levels can and cannot do after a few years or so realize that an interesting story beats groundbreaking effects about 9 out of 10 times.