How many architects here?

And what application do you use? ox uses GNU/linux. Does your programs have export formats compatible with blender?

Hi,
I am an Interior Designer from Turkey. :smiley:

Architect/Drafting Student here

I use AutoCAD mostly and would love to see blender tools that help with persicion and dimension lines.

architects : 1 :wink:

Ok, let’s have a check to everything since now…

architects (students included!) 7
mechanical design engineer 2
industrial designer 3
web design 2
civil design 1
draftsman 2
various (oxes included) 3

total 20

in less than two daysa 20 people posting their need of precise measures… come on, let’s reach a higher number!

pardon my french, but WHAT HAS LINUX GOT TO DO WITH IT…

i use blender on Both OSX and Windows, both platforms have plenty of CAD opions, but that is not the point. the point is blender, and blender as a cross platform 3d modeller is above and beyond any platform arguments or battles.

yes it is open source, but why is that limited to the linux platform, can’t i use all my open source software on windows? because i bought windows am i forever trapped into buying software?

just a gripe.

Alltaken

Well, not really an architect, but I am a stickler for being exact, and modeling inorganic objects is what I would like to do the most of, so count me in.

Blender shouldn’t be turned into a cad program, but just some more ways to be exact would be nice.

example: more numeric imputs, such as being able to enter the radius of circle.

being able to specify the amount of times you want to subdivide between two points, or the amount of loop subdivides. (ie: having the option of subdividing the edge between two vertecies into 3 edges,rather than just two as it is currently)

little additions like these would make things a lot easier for inorganic modelers like me.

web designer = 3

What about 3d digital artists :o im studying that at the moment at uni just finished my induction 1 week ago, time to get onto the good stuff.

I think that entails all of us, but what has that to do with needing engineering accuracy in Blender?

in less than two daysa 20 people posting their need of precise measures… come on, let’s reach a higher number!

Whoa! hold on a second! My two-cents in this topic should not be corralled into a movement to make Blender a CAD application of any sort. I was merely posting to show that I have tools to do precise engineering modeling (Pro/E) but I use Blender for renderings and animation. Pro/E has a very powerfull rendering engine for photorealistic renderings of your models… but I hate it! I much rather import my models from Pro/E into Blender and do my photoreal renders there.

For more organic or artistic pursuits, I model entirely in blender. It all just depends on what I need to do. Guys, these are just tools! Our toolboxes are full of screwdrivers (slotted and phillips), hammers, chisels, and wrenches. I don’t know about you but my trash can is full of “all-in-one” crappy tools that try to doeverything but don’t do anything well.

Later!

i don’t think that the goal it to turn blender into a CAD program.

i for one DON’T WANT IT TO BE A CAD PROGRAM.

a cad program is very specific and requires being able to make it using CNC machines.

Blender as a good tool to represent or even model highly accurate things would be a great tool.

modelling my items in a cad program is not ideal as the import into Blender is DXF with many triangles.

being able to model nativly in blender using solid technipues and precise measurements ensures an accurate representation of an item even if its not a 100% super duper internal/external perfect model that could be made.

Alltaken

Even a 3D MAX type thing where we could imput measurements (depth, height, breadth) in global numbers (not proportional as is the current case) would be a help. I have had to model floorplans for clients who want to show a virtual walk through in their media presentation, but can only do a rough estimate. For me, a scale model would definitely ad to the fabled “wank factor” that usually sells a product.

soon-to-be Architect here. I’d like a way to import my Revit files into Blender, and am trying to learn enough Python to do that. :smiley:

Another “Web Designer”, but on a more general sense “Digital Artist” :wink:

I would also have more precision tools and snapping grids on Blender, just like any other decent design tool. The capacity of automatic alignments to grids would save a lot of time, the capability to duplicate something N times, and easy way to distribute by centers, by sides, to enter precise distances, and so on. I’m with the majority, I don’t want a CAD software but I would like to see easy ways to do those things easily. As someone else said previously, the ones that maybe think that don’t want those things would simply not use them :slight_smile:

I think nobody’s talking on wanting blender to be a cad program, we’re not talking about typical CAD tools (dynamic dimensioning text, interactive parametrical nurbs, rail generated surfaces, etc…)!
We are saying that current Blender tools and purposes are good, but things like active snap points and easy precise relative measures would be a great improvement in the next release for all those architects, draftmans and so on who want to use blender in their work (integrated with specific softwares too).

Well I’m not an architect, but I stil work for those wierd creatures. Snapping is high on my list. I think the numeric input features in Blender are pretty good. But snapping is very tedious.

I remember reading something on the Blender.org website about a group of programmers working on CAD tools for Blender. I think they had a beta that was available for download. It was probably about a year or so ago.

that’s blenderCAD, a project on which nobody’s working anymore at the moment, and it was not concerning about snap points

I think one thing we all agree on is that the recently introduced features for modeling, such as knife subdivide, and loop select and cut are great things, and the current test features such as face and edge selection are even better. However, this is just the begining. One of blender’s strongest features is that things can be made quickly without slogging through tons of menus and widgets. You don’t have to spend half your time searching for tools. That said, many inorganic objects take longer to produce simply because some more advanced modeling features do not yet exist. The key is to add all these great features to help us out without having the interface go crazy with inefficiency. And, as a bonus, many of these features can also apply to organic modeling as well.

I propose we make a list of specific features that we wish blender had with respect to helping inorganic modeling, and then try to find ways to simplify/combine features we like. This way, only the most important features are included, so the ui and speed of blender aren’t destroyed. I have very little experience with other 3d apps, so those of you that have seen things that you like in other apps, describe them here, and we can all try to come to a concensus on the most important features. As far as actually getting these features, that is up to the coders who will be able to determine how feasable the ideas actually are once we decide exactly what we want.