How many of you actually know what they're doing ?

No bull, really how much ?
I think that I am just winging it most of the time.
Just now, while I’m translating the Release Logs : I copied them to my computer, but they’re on a cms system, don’t have a clue what this is. Anyway I copy the images that I must link to locally. I make perfecty good links in the WYSIWYG part of Nvu : won’t work. Click on the image-that-links-to-the-big-picture go into the source and my cursor is at the end on an event line full of things I can’t figure out : so I delete that line, right ?
I’ve mass-deleted in Emacs all those lines from all the files and everything is fine now.

So, tell the thruth, tell your story.

Jean

I know what I’m doing

and I know most of the software I deal with every day is complete crap
[not all of it microsoft software even]

this seems like a thread with too little direction, I could easily see it going ary and getting locked

This is a thread that tests people’s sense of humour and self-derision.
That’s direction enough for me.

Jean

my story?

my life.

'nuff said.

so when i try to do stuff on the computer, and it breaks, i simple google the error and stuff. if i get an answer, i can read it fast, then act like i remembered after reading parts, and it makes me look like im smart.

“another great thing about the mac is upgrades, On a pc you have to open up your case swap out your video cards, change jumpers. On the mac, when its time to upgrade you just pick it up throw it away, and buy a new one, now thats convenience!” - Gus Sorola Rooster Teeth

For starters …I have absolutely NO CLUE about what you´re
rambling about in your first post - no problem…as long as YOU do…
we´ll all get along just fine :slight_smile:

Seriously…

Do I have a clue?
WELL?!..
DO I? (Said with Krusty the clown voice)

As a matter of fact IF in fact… I have a clue
it would be that I have no clue at all.

That is…most of the time I go around imagining that
I have a clue about a great deal of things but I usually
end up discovering that I really have no clue.

On the other hand… when I watch other people try to
do the same stuff I have no clue about - I realize that
they have no clue either and if I do better than them in
some areas - then they must be virtually clueless, however
them being clueless does not really matter to me other
than being some form of “personal” measurement system.

And then you COULD ask yourself…

…measurement to what?

Again - no clue, it´s personal I think.

(What on EARTH am I talking about?)

Can you decode it? (That is a challenge!)

c&p

I know what i’m doing on a server/workstation. That’s why they pay me anyway.

I know what I’m doing. I fully comprehend the lock button.

Just kidding. :smiley:

90% of the time I know what I do. It’s just that the 10% thats left people remember.

I probably know what I’m doing for about 80% of the time. And thats only cause about 50% is taken up by sleep.

Thye other 30% is school and the 20% is spare time were I attempt to brake my pc to keep me enteretained. But some how it wont crack.

Here’s when you realise you don’t know what you’re doing:

Lenny: Those lousy Germans can’t fire me. I’m the only one who knows how to unjam the rod bottom dissociator.
Karl: Well, they can’t fire me. I’m the only one certified to run the gaseous contaminant particular [sic] fire.
Homer: Well, they can’t fire me!
Lenny and Karl: Why?
Homer: Because… [long silence]

On the whole, I’d say I was a bit of a hack. I don’t know what I’m doing all day long. I learn meaningless stuff all the time and bluff my way by on that. It doesn’t bother me because I always look at the big picture and consider that in this meaningless universe, even if people know what they’re doing, they know what they are doing about something which is ultimately meaningless and that puts them in the same leaky boat as me.

it depends on what im trying to do…

if im making a tennis ball cannon, no i do not fully understand what im doing and what will happen when its shot.

other things, hell yea i understand its what i do!

i have strong faith that life has all answers for me i need!

claas

You didn’t add my group: very sure 80% of the time, mostly sure 10% guessing 10%

Yeah, like hydravien said.

If I’m tring to go to the moon or something, I can’t fully comprihend, although I can mostly.

But if I’m taking a number 2 or something, then yeah, easy as pie. Or what used to be a pie.

I know what I’m doing 100% of the time as long as I know I’m doing something that I know how to do - if that makes any sense :slight_smile:

From Daniel

Where’s the “I know enough to know that I’m doing it wrong” option? :stuck_out_tongue: