How Mesh data + Displacement Data = Animation

I am new to Blender. However, I’ve used it for several months. I am good at python scripting. I understand basics of Blender.

Ok, let me tell you what I’ve got so far and what is left to do that I am having difficulties in.

I want to create an animation of mathematical model. I have imported the initial data (9000 triangles). Everything looks good.

Now, I am trying to apply displacements on the vertexes to animate. I want to keep everything as one object because later I might change camera location and coloring, etc. I also wanna be able to apply interpolation if between displacement data because I might not have enough frames.

Would anyone guide me on how I can accomplish this through python scripting, please?

Thanks.

First off, familiarise youself with the Python API of Blender, especially the Mesh module, although you could also use the NMesh.

Here is a link to the API (2.41 is basically the same, with the addition of a few things to do with Armatures) http://www.blender.org/documentation/240PythonDoc/index.html

Aligorith

If you want to keep everything as one object, you could make a shape key of each displacement . Look for the insert shape key function in the object module .

Thanks everyone for the replies! This is a good start for me. I’ll post my discoveries.

Hi, I am also new to blender and I want to do something similar. I have already written a little python script that calculates meshes of mathematical functions. If someone is interested, I can post the code. Example:
http://img159.imageshack.us/img159/5422/radialwavewb2.th.jpg

Now I want to add animation, but I don’t know how. My idea is:

• Create and calculate new mesh at time t
  • Create keyframe
  • t=t+dt
  • Back to 1. (until t >= tmax)How can I do this in blender?

if your just moving vertex locations Mesh is significantly faster then NMesh, since it modifies the vertex location directly. rather then working on a copy and then regenerating the mesh from the copy.

I think moving the vertices is too complicated, because there’s a removeDoubles() call after the mesh creation. So I don’t know which of the original vertices are still there. Maybe I should improve my code, but I will only do it, if there is no easy way to create the animation.

Here’s a link to the script:
http://www.ytternhagen.de/tmp/3dfunktion-t.py

And here is a code snippet:

scene = Blender.Scene.GetCurrent() # get current scene
g = Blender.Mesh.New(mname) # create new mesh
go = Blender.Object.New("Mesh",mname) # create new mesh object 
go.link(g)
scene.link(go)
vi = [] # declare list for Vertices
fi = [] # declare list for Faces

...(mathematical stuff)...

g.verts.extend(vi) # associate vertices wish mesh 
g.faces.extend(fi) # faces also

g.sel=True  # select object 
print g.remDoubles(epsilon),"double vertices removed"

# find out, how to smooth mesh and put code here 

go.insertShapeKey()
t+=dt

# How do I delete the vertices and faces of the mesh?

Now the questions are: How can I create a keyframe? Do I only have to call insertShapeKey() ? Then how can I remove the old mesh and insert the newly calculated one for the next keyframe? Or do I have to keep all the meshes and link all of them to the object go?