How much is your dream computer?

Whats with these processors you guys want?

2 dual core 3GHz xeon
16 Gb DDR2 ram
2 TB storage

Hits $16k I think.

Me want keyboard with all Blender hotkeys marked on them ^^
That would take quite a bit of space, I suppose…
Argh, forget it.
I’d take anything that can work with 15.000.000 vertices while still going smoothly :stuck_out_tongue:

I’ve done it.

Pentium Extreme Edition 3.73 Ghz, Dual core with HT technology (simulates quad core)
Intel 975x chipset motherboard
8 GB DDR2 DIMM RAM (4x 2 GB)
1 TB SATA RAID 0+1 HD(4x 500 GB)
Turbo-Cool 1 kW power supply
Dual SLI Nvidia GeForce 7950 GX2 series video cards. (With 64 bit driver.)
Windows XP Professional x64
Foxconn TP544 toolless thermally advantaged chassis
20.1" LCD monitor
Bluetooth keyboard and mouse combo
Combo optical drive

cost: a lot.

I’m actually planning on building this system. I might modify the old ‘how do you eat an elephant’ question to ‘How do you buy an elephant?’ One part at a time.

One of the new Mac Pros with dual 3 GHz Xeons… Dual boot OS X/Ubuntu

where do you “find your Pentium Extreme Edition 3.73 Ghz, Dual core with HT technology”?

Windows x64 won’t work with a 32 bit processor.

I don’t have time to type out my dream computer, but I will when I get home.

Pentium Extreme Edition is a 64 bit processor.

Eh, I like AMD Athlon FX’s better. AMD has always been ahead of Intel, except for the new conroes, but you never know what AMD has up their sleeve.

And Asus motherboards are the best. I accidently shorted out mine by having all the pins in the back tough the metal of my case, AND IT WASN’T DAMAGED!!! It just lit a yellowish orange warning light, and I proptly put some rubber stoppers in there. It works like nothing happened to it.

Before that had happened I had held it OUTSIDE the anti-static bag during a lightning storm without my shoes on walking on carpet… And not to mention the accidental shorting out… And it works perfectly! Not to mention I slightly bent it when it shorted… Over all, I put it to the limits and it works like a charm! It was the K8N model.

Don’t go for the PIV, take one of the Core 2 Duos. Its much more energy efficient and very fast. The E6300 for example. 2x2.66 GHz

Here :wink:

Well, I’d usually just build my own, but as long as money’s no object…

I’ve had a real thing for “workstations” recently.

http://www.sun.com/desktop/workstation/ultra45/

http://www.boxxtech.com/products/apexx8_specs.asp

A couple interesting bullet-points from the Boxx Apexx8:

• Up to 8 Dual AMD Opteron™ dual-core processors
  • Up to 128GB of DDR400 Memory
  • Dual PCI Express graphics; supports two NVIDIA SLI-ready Quadro® cards

Deck that system out with a couple Nvidia Quadro FX 5500s in SLI, and now we’re talking.

I haven’t the foggiest idea how much that all costs, but if it’s under 10 large, I’d be surprised.

I actually added up all the component costs, and to my suprise it’s a little less than 6 grand.:eek: I thought it would be a lot more. To be exact the subtotal is $5,725.

My dream computer doesn’t exist. I mainly like form factor. I also don’t like display limitations. If you have a screen that’s wider than tall, it’s great for movies but bad for looking at portrait images and working on text documents.

So I’d like a tablet. I’m not a fan of GPUs due to the fact they currently have programming limitations so I’d want a CPU that incorporated GPU technology so that all operations CPU/GPU were fast but also completely programmable.

I’d want to get away from this old fashioned electricity based processing and move onto optical processing to get much higher bandwidth.

The display would have to be OLED or SED to get round the horrible display quality of LCD. It would be a multi-touch screen display so no need for a separate tablet.

It would have a mini-nuclear-battery that lasted for the lifetime of the machine and one universally standard IO interface (optical fibre probably). If not that, a battery that lasted at least a full day and would be charged with a magnetic power cord.

The storage mechanism would have moved away from HD with moving parts to solid state. 100GB Flash cards the size of SD cards capable of storing HD movies with long read/write cycles so no more clumsy optical media like CD/DVD.

The entire machine would be extremely light and durable.

The cost would be around £500.

The only problem I see with reaching such a level is that it would completely kill market growth and the computer hardware industry as we know it would die out. But hey, it’s got to happen sometime.

Talking about currently available machines, the machine I want most at the moment is one of the new Mac minis now that they dropped about £150 in price. Rumors keep suggesting Apple will introduce a tablet but it looks more like the technology will be used in an ipod, likely to be introduced at this media event on the 12th for the itunes movie store or something.

There are also rumors of a mid-range cube comeback and that would actually take up less space overall than my Mini + peripherals but we’ll see.

My biggest problem is storage media. HDs and optical drives are what take up a significant portion of a machine’s size and weight and we need to get those down.

Because of depreciation, I never even consider spending more than £1000 on a machine. It’s the same deal with cars.

http://www.nvidia.com/page/quadroplex.html

oh yes… I drool over this one. Power and kick ass to look at.

My dream computer would be:

Motherboard:
10 of whatever the fastest motherboard on the market today is, if someone knows what it is, please tell me!

GPU:
2 NVidia 98,000 GTX2 (not a 9,800 GTX2, but a 98,000 GTX2) per motherboard.

Harddrive:
1,000 2 TB hard drives

RAM:
128 GB of RAM

Sound:
I have no idea what my sound card is, but it came with my computer, and it RULEZ!
And a Logitech Z-5500 5.1 Surround Sound System.

Screen:
108" Computer Monitor which would double as my T.V.

Accesories:
3D printer plus normal Fax/Scan/Copy inkjet printer.

Windows Vista Home Premium (I have no clue why everyone hate Windows Vista - I have had almost no issues with it and it has more features than Windows XP, so why does everyone hate it? I love it, and you can play the Pinball machine game on Vista)

Well, that’s a basic idea of my dream computer.

how much is the roadrunner? Because that’s not even a billionth of the computing power I want :slight_smile:

My dream PC would cost minus one gazillion bucks (yes they pay me to take it away) and would look something like this. :eyebrowlift:

How much is your dream computer?

dont know about price, but one that will not run windows, or any program made by Microsoft

I configured a mac pro, to make it the very best, and I came up close to 26 grand!

then I removed some features like the 3 of the 4 1TB harddrives, the 2 30" displays, and 1 of the 2 16x superdrives. I also took off the wifi card and removed Xsan 2, it came down to:
drumroll

almost 20 Grand…

final specifications:

Attachments

My dream computer costs $30000, so I don’t think i’m getting it soon.