How secure is Blender?

Has anyone ever heared about such ‘known cases’, as far as Blender is concearned?
Why would the Blender Institute have a dedicated team to react on sth. which has most defeniteley never happened ever in Blender’s history as an OS application?
Everybody always cries about how development of pet-feature xyz isn’t fast enough & whatnot, but the BF is supposed to waste money for some taskforce to react to some highly unlikely pothential threat?
And this just because one user has a quite unorthodox way of dealing with money? Really?

greetings, Kologe

This is for sure too much for Blender, I think it’s fine if the core devs can handle security bugs themselves.

Everybody always cries about how development of pet-feature xyz isn’t fast enough & whatnot, but the BF is supposed to waste money for some taskforce to react to some highly unlikely pothential threat?
And this just because one user has a quite unorthodox way of dealing with money? Really?

It’s just a discussion about the risks that I took before this thread.
My conclusion is:
Using a separate computer for sensitive stuffs is still the proper way if you can’t handle the complexity at software level.
I will try out both to see which makes more sense to me.

I think the answer to the question How secure is Blender? is: Not very secure. That’s just how it is. It does not need to be very secure and cannot practically be made completely secure. Is it a huge problem?.. Is it less secure than any other popular software?.. Is it likely to be a target for an attack? No. But if you keep very sensitive files on your PC and do not want to leave any possibility of compromising the security(not considering the actual probability), then you should not use Blender on that machine, as well as any other software that is not absolutely essential. You should use an encrypted OS (preferably use AES 256 bit encryption at least), you should not keep that machine on and connected to the internet(and no WiFi if you need to connect it to the internet briefly, a cable connection on a secure network should be used). You should not use it for your daily computing tasks or anything else at all not related to the use of the sensitive information, you should not plug ANY USB devices into that machine as well. This sounds like a lot, but then a cheep dedicated netbook could provide everything mentioned here. Is it paranoid as hell and unnecessary? Probably. But then you can be sure it’s all secure. Any other way the fact that an attack against you is extremely unlikely should be good enough for you.

Effectively… you never keep sensible data ( mining pocket etc ) in your main pc, you store them a on a pc who is completely secure ( meaning, no internet connection, and fully encrypted ) … if someone store sensbible data in his main pc, he really need to ask him where is the problem…

Educate yourself. Knowledge is the only protection that you hopefully can trust and be dependent on.
With it you’ll resolve your fears & priorities. There’s no warranty that you’ll wake up again & see tomorrow’s day. It’s an illusion - one trully only hopes, believes so.

Will the stronger, more skilled man beat you too death just because he’s able and he chooses so? Aren’t you more worried about walking around the US where everyone is allowed to carry lethal weapons?
Luckily you’re not Afro-American or native, right?

Get real.

& there’s whole lot more - keep watching ^

official site
https://www.defcon.org/

First Blender must present a threat to some form of power to be attacked by.

We are not the enemy.
Are you?

burnin wrote right, good knowledge is only best protection.

All protections can actually be “hacked” is someone wants very much… Well, lets not get into dark areas.

With all respect, asking about how secure Blender is like asking how well Windows Defender Antivirus utilizes GPU…

Hi All,

to be honest… I do not understand what You are all talking about. Security of a Computer-System? Security of the WEB? Security of local stored data? Security of Code? Security of an OS?

I am a real “old-timer” concerning Computers in general. I grew up with things like Z80 and mainframe-systems. And to be honest:

There is NO real 100% security within any computer-based system. Even if RedHat (out of the 1970ies) claims that “the only nearby 100% security for a computer-system is beeing NOT connected to any other system…”, there is always the risk left, that someone personally interacts with this “closed” system.

The only thing everybody in the “Scene” can do, is to make it as far as possible uneasy to hack. Which in gerneral means only one thing: “How high is the investment, in doing a hack, compared to the outcome?” That’s all.

And in the questionaire’s case: Sorry ! But just the mentionioning of “what You have on Your systems…” might be the biggest security-hole in your personell system, cause you are pronouncing, what would be possible to grab.

The biggest security-issue in the whole branch is the User. As you clearly demonstrated (sorry, I do not want to offend You personally, but…). I do not hink so… but think it over, what content you posted in here, and than imagine the faraway possibility, that someone with clear criminal intentions, reads it and starts to act. ?? Most on the fly actions in criminal intentions start up by “Finding oportunities casually” and NOT by “Planning distinctly”

1 Like