How should I connect rail and road splines?

I made a railroad that goes around and I need to connect it somehow, so how should I do it? Just move the spline vertices close enough and hope to Ctulhu it looks decent or can I somehow automatically snap them together? I tried alt m merging, but it doesn’t work on nurbs.

https://s20.postimg.org/voybfhk2j/Nurbs_rails.png

I mainly want to work on roads and connect them to intersections, so this should be useful for that.

If you are using a bezier curve you can connect the two end points by selecting and using F or use the 'Toggle Cyclic option in the toolshelf (while in edit mode and the curve selected)

Both add an additional segment to bridge the gap between the two points.

It’s a nurbs path, but I tried F and it worked, awesome, thanks. Btw, is there any difference between all those things, nurbs path, bezier curve,etc. other than the way you manipulate them?

I haven’t tried all of them, but I believe that the nurbs path is the easiest for making roads.

Btw, instead of opening a new thread, I’ll just ask this here as well.

How can I connect a road to a intersection, are there any workarounds like this or does that have to be done with pure moving of vertices to kind of fit?

You have a Snap-To tool on the menu bar of the 3D viewer. Read up on it in the docs.

If you mean the usual snapping option (snap element : 1. volume 2. face 3. edge 4. vertex 5. increment), I know about that, but moving the nurbs like that all the way to center of the intersection entrance, (where it’s supposed to be) doesn’t really do much by itself, either with the fix count or fill curve option in the array, I get the same “short” result. If I add more array elements, it goes “inside” the other road, which is even worse than this.

Now I can apply the modifiers and then move the last few vertices the intersection entrance manually, but I am wondering if there is a smarter way to do this, like the previous question that was fixed by a simple pressing of F.

https://s20.postimg.org/kmfyidkbf/Intersection.png

I had to deal with the same problem when I made a road kit for use in the BGE.

As it is, you’ll almost always get a gap or overlap when using arrays on curves. The bends in the curve make calculating exact distances along the curve impossible without a lot of extra work that wouldn’t really help you in your situation anyway.

The only solution I know of is to make the curved sections of road so they fit exact measurements that can be lined up perfectly with other road pieces. You can also make a variety of smaller curved sections that can be joined into larger shapes, so that one long section might be composed of 3 or 4 shorter sections.

If you’re going to do it this way, you need to first decide on a measuement scheme, then design and place your roads and intersections within that scheme so they automatiucally line up.

If you’re trying to fit your roads to a predetermined layout (i.e. from a city road map you got somewhere), then you’ll have to resort to far more manual placements than otherwise, simply because the road map layout probably won’t be based on any sort of measurement scheme and roads can be almost anywhere.

I’m trying to model real world roads (onto satellite imagery), so nurbs and arrays are the only way I can do it. In that case I guess that I just have to move the nurbs&arrays as close to the intersection as possible and finish by modifying the last few vertices. The problem with that is that the UV mapping probably gets a little stretched out.

I looked at a random intersection made in GTA V and the UV wasn’t stretched at the end, so either they found a way to work around this (3ds max or whatever they use probably works the same way) or they just moved the last vertices as well and fixed UV’s.

In the curve properties check, Stretch and Bounds Clamp. Then snap the last point (not handle) of the curve to the edge of the perpendicular road. Rotate the handle by eye to make it match the angle of the road. Then the adjust the segment number in the array modifier so the individual UV sections don’t stretch and remain the same length as they are without the modifier. Or at least pretty close and they will all be consistent.

I wonder if it would be helpful, but you could do as suggested above and make seamless pieces of road. Once you’ve made models of a straight road, with a curve…etc, then you just place them together and you can even put a piece a bit over the other one, as they are seamless and thus you would have no gap in between. Just make sure they are all on the same Y axis position where they connect.