How should I model this radar dish?
You should create a cubic segment, then repeat it with an Array modifier, then curve the whole thing with a modifier (Warp for example)
Here’s what I would do to get a basic shape.
- Use the default cube and modify accordingly to overall shape
- Use two deformer modifiers to get the shape you want (see pic).
- Apply those two modifiers so you have the geometry to work with
- In edit mode, select all and delete “only faces” so you’re left with edges only
- Convert that to a curve
- Apply the required thickness and changes you need.
- Then convert back to a mesh to modify even more.
hmmm…that may not be the best method because when you convert to mesh from a curve, they actually don’t connect properly…
I would suggest taking a section of a quadratic sphere, and then adding (and applying a solidify modifier, then add and apply wireframe modifier. Handle the slats and the stem in the center as seperate geometry.
My 2 centicreds worth.
Stretch the UV sphere, separate the part that will be the dish and, using J or its counterpart, create the grill. Then extrude it all. Remove faces only and apply Skin or Wireframe modifier
for a more realist antenna you would need part of a 3D parabola
but depends what you want !