How simplify this UV?

Hello

When I unwrap this very simple object I have a very complex UV, and the shader is weird on the object :nauseated_face:. How to make a simple UV “box” for this object? :roll_eyes:

Use smart projection for starters. You have a lot of hard edges.
Anyway, your topology is not good, because you have a lot of sliver triangles, those long, acute edges… that accounts for pain both in uv and shaders…

1 Like

I made the “smart uv”, but the result is the same.
I understand that my object has a strange topology, no way to simplify this?

You cant make this less than 3 UV shells. If you want the “inner parts” of the UV shells look more clean you need to clean topology in the mesh itself. Only thing you can do is align the shells correctly in space so that you dont have to draw with an rotated image and can draw straight lines. Also the side UV piece is stretched.

Edit: You can make this 2 UV shells but it is not really advisable.

I add a “remesh” modifier, WOW it’s a lot of voxel to preserve shape, it is really heavy so I add a “decimate” modifier. So at the end it is better for the front, but the side are always bizzare…
Note sure that it is the best way ?

Remodeling it with better topology takes maybe 2 minutes. I also showed where you have to place your UV seams.

2 minutes :flushed: But which way to do this :nerd_face:

While the topology here isn’t good, it’s unlikely to matter in this case (autosmooth, non-deforming mesh, planar caps so zero UV distortion possible.) And Blender’s remeshing tools aren’t going to give you anything good either. So you may as well live with it.

It’s possible to make this a single island:

But the reality is that this as a single island isn’t any better for any texturing purposes as this as three islands.

What makes a good UV map depends on what you want to do with that UV map. UV maps are used to texture. The right kind of UV map depends on how you want to texture. You can have final or interim UV maps.

What makes a final UV map good is,

a) good use of UV space;
b) minimal texture distortion, for animating models, in likely animations;
c) even texel density;
d) minimal seamed verts (both for performance and texture filtering reasons.)

In roughly that order. That’s a balancing act. The UV I displayed above has no UV distortion, perfect texel density, and the minimum number of seamed verts to achieve those two goals, but doesn’t use the UV space well. If I wanted to make a pro model, I’d probably create a few more islands (more seams) in order to take better advantage of my UV space.

But usually when people are just starting out, they’re looking for something different from their UV maps-- they’re usually looking for no seams, even though that’s of minimal concern to a pro. And you can’t get no-seams on a manifold mesh without UV overlap. If you’re looking for no-seams, then use a project from view, or box map your image texture lookup rather than worrying about your UV, or use 3D coords like generated with procedural textures.

You start putting a plane over the one with the messy topology and delete every but one vert. With one vert left you ctrl left click in front iso view to trace the original shape. Once you have the original shape you you just fill with pressing F and than extrude down with e. Than you unwrap like in pic abovw.

You really rock guys :pray: That’s always a pleasure to visit this forum and ask for help, really happy that this place exist :+1:
Today I will try this last advice on my islands, I will let you know :wink:

That’s strange. If those hard edges I see are real, when you smart uv unwrap you’d end up with top and bottom separated, and a single, long, stripe for the side.
For the side, mark a single edge as seam; that would open the stripe flat over its length.
This is irrespective of topology, it’s just a cut. The UV you show isn’t respecting object size, top, bottom and side should be keeping the same areas.
To get an easier side stripe, add two opposite cuts.
HTH

Make sure the scale is applied, otherwise you may get unexpected proportions for the UVs (and that looks like what’s happening with your original unwrap).

OK so it seems the problem begin with my topology, so I redo all :slight_smile

• import SVG
  • extrude curve
  • convert to mesh
  • close the object (select one vertice then loop it with “L”, and “F” to fill)
  • in Edit “U” to unwrap with a “Smart UV”

It looks ok BUT when I want to smooth the contour the “shade smooth” option transform my object :scream: :scream: :scream:

NO, the “shade smooth” is only visual, the object is still there!
Turn tho “shade flat” to get it back.

There’s an easier way you may want to know; import your svg as you did, then fill the curve without extruding. Then apply a solidify modifier.
HTH

Yes I know the “shade smooth” is visual, but so weird on my object
I tried your way to extrude my svg, but I have a message error…
(What a nightmare for a so simple shape and goal extrude :crazy_face:)

Have an svg flower

Import svg - convert to mesh - solidify

svgflower.blend
(217.9 KB)

Note the triangulation - to avoid it, before solidify, enter edit mode, select all internal edges and delete them. Then Fill.
After solidify, then you can give it some edge loops (ctrl-r) for creating nice quads. (You better have an even number of vertices)

HTH

I’m sorry, you really do your best to help me, really really appreciate it, but I don’t know how to do what you tell me.
To be precise, in the first part I don’t know how to select all in internal edges to delete them :cold_sweat:

Nevermind, I just discovered you cannot create more loops on ngons faces that easily…

OK… I’m stuck, it’s crazy, even more for something so simple :sob:
What do you think if I give you 50 bucks from paypal to make me a step by step screen capture or video? (Based on my file) to show me the best way to import, extrude and to have a smooth and light result :*

• import SVG (illustrator pref?)
  • extrude (solidify, extrusion,…)
  • make a clean UV
  • having a nice and smooth shape even in “flat” mode
  • All this at a low poly

If you are not interested no problem :wink:
if someone is ok tell me, I’ll send you the file :nerd_face:

Honestly, you’d be better off starting from scratch and modeling this from a cube. Just create a cube of roughly the thickness/width you need, go into edit mode, add loop cuts as needed and mode the faces to fit your desired silhouette. It wouldn’t take very long, and would give you good topology that would make your UV maps a hell of a lot cleaner and simpler.

Extruding curves, using n-gons etc is a crappy way to tackle this type of thing.

Here, watch this video for a primer as to why you need to plan out your topology before you even set out to model anything: