How the heck did that happen?!

Ok, so far this is one of the stranger plane crash videos I’ve ever seen. The plane looks like it hit the cloud and lost it’s wings, sorry, but that’s just strieght up crazy ya’ll.
Anybody able to explain that?

<<<Link>>>

I’m thinking this video is fake and just trying to freak people out. Sort of like the one with the killer whale crushing the canoer. I absolutely se no reason for the plane’s wings to be torn off like that.

Gah! Ebaum’s World!

Label that as Not Safe for Work. It’s Ebaums afterall. :slight_smile:

its obvious… it hit a u.f.o. with its cloaking device enabled. simple as that.

actually…(a more realistic reason)… the plane did some maneuver that stressed its wings a tad too much… like maybe after a dive when the pilot levelled the plane again. (doesnt look like that plane would be doing too many stunts, but whatever). that left the wings weak where they attatch to the plane. eventually the joint gave out and they came off.

maybe one wing snapped and when the plane started to torque the other one came off…

http://img208.imageshack.us/img208/5969/plane0ph.png

that shows what i think could have happened.

as you can see, i showed, with arrows, the forces on the plane while levelling out of a dive.(im no aeronautics expert… roll with me). the picture also shows the stress points on the wings( in red :rolleyes: ). right where they snapped in the video. the pilot could have miscalculated the maneuver and put too much stress on those parts of the aircraft causing them to eventually fail.

its happened before

I was going to explain the same thing as Stella who just made a clear explanation. After all, this is a tiny commercial plane and not a fighter jet. It was not conceived to put that many stress on the airframe in such a tiny amound of time. But still, arnt such durabitity required on all planes? Might be fake though. The plane could easily be a RC on that desintegrates and add some crowd footage of anotehr airshow crash and you’ve got a ncie video. The very poor quality of the vid only makes it easier to do.

But still, arnt such durabitity required on all planes?

On Mythbusters, they cut through a plane like that with a chainsaw.

EDIT: Like butter.

Planes are made from aluminium. Baring stunt planes that have reinforced wings.

However with what the wings were going through, if the wings were damaged in anyway, (micro-fractures, dents, etc) then it could happen.

They also shot a plane with a chickengun :rolleyes: :smiley:

Anyway, I think its possible that that could happen. Due to the numerous planes that are maintained poorly or have been sabotaged :rolleyes:

They also used a propeller to do it, and that actually does happen. Ontopic… ish. NOOOO! no more freebody diagrams. they scare me. But it looks like he was about to do something because his wings bent up, then snaped off. And that plane defanitly was not ment to do that. And I’m also going to assume that the cloud formed was from debre, and maybe fuel, I’m nost sure if on that plane, its stored in the wings.

Katsuro

well eaven though there was one realistic explanation, i still liked the idea bout u.f.o.-s alot :slight_smile:

i still liked the idea bout u.f.o.-s alot

What you talking about that was the realistic explanation. :wink:

It didn’t even come close to the cloud.

i still think the vids a fake

You’ve got to remember that planes are made to be as light as possible while maintaining a reasonable MINIMUM of durability.

I once met some guys who were sheetmetal workers, worked for some Canadian airline. They were in Madison, WI to fix an airplane that had hit some ducks. Not a huge plane, but not a Cessna either. Twin turboprop, seated about 25 plus crew.

I saw the plane, and one of the ducks hat been hit by the leading edge of the wing. It made a hole about 6 inches across, and about three quarters of the way though the wing, and this was at landing speed (about 100 mph), not cruising. They said if the plane hadn’t been landing, and gion that slow, it would have probably lost the wing and crashed.

Many planes are fairly old - 10 years is still considered pretty new for a plane. Metal fatigue and crystalization are extremely hard to detect without things like X-rays (and being made from aluminium Magnafluxing doesn’t work).

If the wings had been stressed enough through manouvers that created more G-forces than it was designed for, it’s not impossible that hitting the denser air in a cloud could have been the straw that broke the camel’s back.

From the video, you can see the pilot was pulling some tricks that a plane like that isn’t designed for. Although it’s hard to tell from the low res video - it looks like the wings broke off just outboard of the bracing struts.

It also looks as if this was filmed somewhere in Asia, and many smaller and/or third world counties don’t have nearly as tight of regulations about how often and how completely planes need to be inspected.

Like the Airbus that lost it’s tail :eek:

Mike

You can see the plane doing a quick “pull up”. That can put a LOT of stress on the wings, beyond the stress they are designed to withstand.

A ‘general aviation’ (non-aerobatic) plane is similar to a car, in respect of what it theoreticaly can do, and what’s safe to do.

In a car, the steering wheel will turn the wheels all the way to the right or left, but that doesn’t mean you can safely turn all the way left or right at highway speed. Same with a plane. The controls generally CANNOT be moved all the way from one extreme to another at cruising speed without breaking something. As the plane slows down, the controls can (and have to be) moved further and faster for the plane to respond. It is very similar to how in a car at highway speed you only need to move the wheel with your fingertips and only a few inches at most to completely change lanes.

When you park a car, traveling at 1-2 mph, THEN you can move the steering wheel as quickly as you want, and you will need to move it further to get the car to react. As a plane slows down for landing, or begins a takeoff run, the same sort of principle applies with respect to the controls/speed of the plane and response. In fact, until the plane achieves some speed, the controls will not do anything.

Aeobatic (civilian) and military fighter jets are built to withstand much higher forces, and the controls in those planes CAN be moved to (almost) their limits at high speeds. The limiting factor then becomes how many “G’s” the pilot can actually withstand before passing out.

Mike