How the hell bug report works?

I’ve registered my account to projects.blender.org to be able to download Ocean patch but if I hadn’t find this site where I could obtain the correct link, I wouldn’t be able to perform any search for patches in that damned site.

Today I discovered a bug in Blender and I submitted it via bug report but now my new thread in bug report is disappeared and no chance are to find it anymore.

How the hell works that site? What the search button is there for?

Well, I signed up and submitted a bug recently and they fixed it in a few days. I was also sent emails of all the discussion and progress on the bug.

First of all calm down a few notches : swearing won’t make you look good here.

When you make a good bug report you must enumerate all the steps that lead to the problem.
When you have a problem with the bug tracker you must enumerate all the steps that lead to the problem here.

Otherwise there is no helping you. I use the bug tracker frequently and it works perfectly and especially quickly since Ton is back at coding.

So, what did you do exactly ?

J.

hmm… I think I’m calm enough but anyway:

1- do you show me how to perform a search for patches? Can you find, let me say, Ocean patch using only search button Bug Report site sports?

2- as said I’ve reported a bug today. I’ve controlled the list and my bug report was there, but now it seems disappeared at all and no search function can show it anymore.

When I log in bug report the browse for bug function show me a list of bugs where are bugs dated 2003, 2005… and just something dated 2008. Furthermore If I perform a search my bug report simply doesn’t exist anymore!

Can you help now?

Did you notice the numerous roll down menus at the top? They are FILTERS for clean and fast browsing. Are you sure you didn’t just activate the wrong one to show your report? From what you’re saying, it’s most probably the open/closed status, be sure to check for both, as well as listing from most recent first.

Yes, I made use of that and now I can list bugs in an ordered list but the bug I reported is still missing.
I did not thought about write down the number ID but I’ve been able to navigate to my bug report and read it. Now it seems it has been deleted… is it possible?

Well, the entry point to the trackers, both bug and patch, is here:
http://projects.blender.org/
If you search for the patches then use the link for the patch tracker. There are so few patches in it that just reading the headers will tell you that the Ocean patch hasn’t been submitted there or that it was retired for some reason.
Since we know that it exist we can Google it :
Blender ocean patch
Which lead us to this :
http://en.blender.ir/
Where we find this :
https://projects.blender.org/tracker/index.php?func=detail&aid=13644&group_id=9&atid=127
And if you read you’ll see that the Ocean Sim is still in active development/fixing which may be the reason why it is not on the patch tracker.

2- as said I’ve reported a bug today. I’ve controlled the list and my bug report was there, but now it seems disappeared at all and no search function can show it anymore.

I can only imagine that this is a glitch. Can you give the report number, the header (title) that you wrote or at least words in it ? I’ve seen Ton answering to some of the lamest bug reports out there (not that I say that yours was lame !) so you should have received email too.
As a last resort try to resubmit and tell us here what is the number, title and nickname you used so we can see what happens.

Can you help now?
Did this help ?

Jean

If you read my first post you’ll discover I can find something about Ocean Sim exactly from en.blender.ir so I think I demonstrate I’m aware of Google and its search function making we all happy.

What not make me so happy is having to use an external search engine to find something it is in one site which provide its search engine that doesn’t work so well.
And I suppose you agree with me given your advice to use Google.

As said, I didn’t thought to record my ID number, it is my fault. What I can spot is the ID number progression isn’t regular, it shows some “hole” in it jumping eg. from 17723 to 17727. Are those bug reports been deleted or what? If it is the case one of deleted bug can be mine so it explain its disappearance.

I think I’ll re-submit the bug I discovered tracking down the ID number. Thank you.

I gave you a complete description so we could have a good basis to start from, not to tell you to use Google…

What not make me so happy is having to use an external search engine to find something it is in one site which provide its search engine that doesn’t work so well.
And I suppose you agree with me given your advice to use Google.

Apparently someone either doesn’t want the patch to be in the tracker or, maybe but it is unlikely, made a mistake. It may not be what I wish either but I can accept that fact. Since I am googling tough, it becomes obvious that this won’t quench the thirst of an inquisitive mind.

As said, I didn’t thought to record my ID number, it is my fault. What I can spot is the ID number progression isn’t regular, it shows some “hole” in it jumping eg. from 17723 to 17727. Are those bug reports been deleted or what? If it is the case one of deleted bug can be mine so it explain its disappearance.

I think I’ll re-submit the bug I discovered tracking down the ID number. Thank you.

Good!
Let us know which report it is so we can also keep an eye out for it.

J.