How to achieve this effect in blender?

How to achieve glowing edges like in this logo video in blender? I tried with halo, but only the vertexes glow. Then I was thinking particle system. But it seems not so practical. Any suggestions?

I really don’t see any glow in that example. There is a slight light move across at the end. You could simply do the same thing in Blender. Move a light across the logo. You could just light the scene, then add a final spot light and disable the diffuse setting so the highlight lamp only affects the specular. You will, of course, have to have some beveled edges in your logo for the specular to bounce off of.

I meant the blue lines in the beginning.:confused:

In the render nodes you could duplicate input, apply some blur and mix it with the original input in add or screen mode, animating the mix amount, no?

Tthe Glow effect in the Video Sequence Editor would work for this too, since the sticks are the only objects in the scene.

So you mean I should use a cylinder or cylinders…and then maybe put alpha on all of the cylinders so they can’t be seen. Then make the first cylinder pop up for like half a sec…lower the alpha on it and make another one pop up?

Then put a plane behind them and make that plane maybe be divided up in pieces that would end at each stick? Then in the compositor make the cylinders a bit blurry and add a glow effect on them?

What do you think about that, is there a better way?

These are basically the infamous light-sabers. Have a look at this Blendercookie tutorial:

Edit: Lightsaber is too complicated! Here is a simpler tutorial from the same site that might help you.

There seems to be a slight glow on the logo itself to my eyes.

Best way imo to do this (and simplest as well) is to put the elements of the scene on different Render Layers, then pass the output through blur nodes and recombine it with the unblurred image using a Color>Mix node set to Screen or maybe Lighten. I think this is what guismo suggests as well. You can add some color correction/modulation nodes in there, too, if you want to adjust the glow color or intensity.

If your scene objects don’t blur well due to Material or structural issues, then you could create proxy objects solely for the purpose of making the glow, giving them their own Render Layers as well, and proceed from there as above.

This is a bit confusing, so I should use the array modifier to make the tubes dublicate on the other side? I tried doing it with the mirror modifier. But I realized afterwards that it doesn’t animate vertexes but the center of the object…array modifier is the way to go?

Here’s a thought, Vali… “put this in your pipe and smoke it over for a while.”

Anytime that you look at a finished effect like the one in your OP, what you are actually looking at is the end-result of a combination of many different effects and components. Those effects might have been produced at the same time, but more likely they were not. Some of them might be “3D,” i.e. produced by some render engine, whereas others are more “2D” in nature … the result of “post-processing.”

It is usually the case that the work flow did not consist of “mash the Big Red ‘Render’ Button And Wait X Hours And … Presto.” Instead, the shot was planned and executed in stages. “Okay, that much looks good, now let’s add this to it…” Therefore, when you regard the shot, you make a mental list of what the various layers and pieces might have been.

Surf almost anywhere to a VFX house web-site and look at shot breakdowns for a crystal-clear example of what I am talking about. Shots are put together just like multi-track music recording is used to build records.

Good analogy. Render Layers and the Compositor can make doing some of the many steps involved part of the rendering process, but it still breaks down much as sundials says. Get the basic animation accomplished, then add the effects. Like baking the cake before putting on the icing.

The animation itself can be simple object transforms, using Layer animation for the blue object pop-ons. The “flash” at each pop-on can be a 2-D effect added in the Compositor.

Probably the most difficult part of the piece would be the “traveling highlights” that move around the raised surface of the logo – could be done 2-D and composited, or maybe with actual lighting effects, though that would be more complicated but ultimately more convincing I think.

Glints over type! Well it looks like there is a lot of film weave so it may have been made by hand animating (actual cell drawing).

The logo doesnt move, so I would make an alpha mask version that allowed only the glint edges, then run a gradient or ramp over that as an add type mix.

Take that effect and put a glow node over it then comp that over the logo as an add type mix.

i wwould suggest that the first effect looks like an array solution, but you could easily just repeat the one clip keyed over itself for as many as it takes to get from the middle tto the side of the screen and mirror that.

Then wipe to logo.

Edit: I could do all that in photoshop and Final Cut pro (not even after effects), so it should be easy in Blender.