How to add "chipped paint edges"?

(bigkahuna) #1

Any way to automatically add “chipped paint edges” (like the illustration below) using material nodes or perhaps through a python script? There’s a Carrara plugin called “Anything Goos” (http://digitalcarversguild.com/plugin.php?ProductId=17 ) that does this very nicely, is there anything similar for Blender?

http://digitalcarversguild.com/products/agoos/chippedpaint.jpg

0 Likes

(Jeremy Ray) #2

Photoshop :slight_smile:

I tried to sell the script guys on geometry driven procedurals many many months ago, but they weren’t buying it. Frankly, if you want to do much with textures, you’re in the wrong place.

0 Likes

(Duoas) #3

Nonsense.

If it were a part of Carrara, you wouldn’t need to spend $35 to buy a plug-in program that does it. Likewise, if someone cared enough they would find it very easy to make a like plug in for Blender.

No one cares enough because the most experienced people know they’ll get better results by editing their own texture maps in PS or GIMP instead of having some silly program generate one that, frankly, doesn’t look that good.

bigkahuna:
Google for “blender uv” to learn how to UV-map your object with your own dirt and dents. You can also search the forum. It’s neither difficult nor obscure, and you’ll be infinitely more pleased with the results.

I recently saw a very good tutorial on creating dirt maps. If I can find it I’ll post back here with the link.

Good luck.

0 Likes

(bigkahuna) #4

Thanks Jeremy and Duas. I can UV-map my objects just fine, it’s the artistic skills to paint textures that look natural is where I fall short. I think I know of the tutorial you’re talking about. I was hoping that someone here might know of a python script or technique using material nodes that would accomplish the same thing as this commercial plugin.

BTW, I’ve tried this plugin with Carrara and it’s pretty darn slick. I bet there’s a way to do this already with Blender…

0 Likes

(Jeremy Ray) #5

Big Kahuna - if you find out how to do it with Blender, PM me.

Duoas - If the “nonsense” remark is directed at me, I think I can claim to be one of the most experienced people here, and I think this would be an excellent tool.

If we’re talking about a close shot of an object in focus, than it’s true that Pshopped textures will be better. But when we’re talking about things that aren’t being shot tight, or are out of focus and covered by motion blur to boot, the “make art” button would be fine and much faster.

And even in the case of close up objects, the Carrera plug-in would generate a nice mask for your Pshop textures. Don’t underestimate procedurals - they don’t produce finished results but they make a great starting point, and one that doesn’t require painstaking UV unwrapping. What I’ve been doing lately is using the procedural to generate a “base” texture. Then I use the auto-unwrap (used to be Archimap UV Projection Unwrapper) to create the UV’s, and bake the procedurals to a texture. The UV’s are distorted, but the procedurals are distorted to match them. You wouldn’t want to paint that in Photoshop. I can layer in other textures in Photoshop to create surface imperfections, dirt, etc. Most of the time it will look o.k. if that stuff is a little distorted. Not every time, but most of the time. It would be GREAT if I could generate a procedural edge damage mask in Blender. As it is I have to use texture paint and Pshop, which is slower than I’d like.

0 Likes

(bigkahuna) #6

Thanks Jeremy. You’ve hit the “nail” on the proverbial “head”. My work flow at the moment is to model and UV map in Blender, add creases (wish Blender had this), use procedural textures and Anything Goos in Carrara, bake the textures in Carrara (with Inagoni Baker), then bring it into our game engine (a low poly sim). Wish I could do this all in one app, and since I’m 10x faster in Blender (and Blender’s modeling /UV mapping is 10x better than Carrara’s) I wish it were all possible in Blender.

0 Likes

(Orinoco) #7

There are people writing scripts for additional procedural textures. They probably won’t be able to sell them to Blender users, so there’s only a few people working at it, spare time, for the glory.

Perhaps if we described the function of this prospective procedural texture in enough detail, someone might just pick up the ball and run with it.

Something I’d like to see is a “fade out” function, tied into an axis, maybe two axes, so I could start the chipping at the bottom of an edge, and have it only go part way up, how far determined by a numerical setting or a slider. An offset might be nice, too. Set the chipping to fade along the x and y axes, offset the start of the chipping to the middle of a face, voila, instant bullet hole texture.

0 Likes

(bigkahuna) #8

The way the plugin works is pretty simple (-how- it works is probably an entirely different matter): It looks for hard edges and then measures a width either side of the edge and applies a colored texture. The power is that you can use dozens of noise, color, specularity, etc., etc. settings to make the worn edge look like almost anything you can imagine. You can also apply multiple layers of the plugin so you could show, for instance, worn paint, to worn primer, to rusted metal.

After searching the forums it seems that MABaker and other scripts were born from a similar concept, except AFAIK, MABaker and the rest applies an effect to the base of a concavity rather the top of an edge. I wonder if the same script (or one of the others) could be used to do what we’re looking for?

0 Likes

(Jeremy Ray) #9

Here’s my script request in the python section:

Link

Feel free to bring it back and throw out additional ideas. If there’s enough interest, perhaps someone will move on it.

BTW I did not know there was any game development left in Honolulu. I worked out there many years ago.

0 Likes