How to Be a Positive Member of the Blender Community (don't be a fanboy)

Direct personal attacks. yet selective enforcement and its overlooked…
its nice that some people are of a protected class. equal protection? not so much.

I think this might be a good time to lock the thread while we are still safe from flying sharp objects.

[edit]The posts I was referring to seem to have been deleted…[/edit]

Guys, guys, guys! :eek: Just stop for one second and consider this - this is exactly the sort of behaviour Jonathan was depicting, but instead of being Blender fanboys you’re being fanboys of your own opinions, and are consequentially arguing the crap out of each other and are falling into the YouTube pit.

Please, just step back for a second - I don’t care who insulted who, if one of you wants “an eye for an eye”, or whatever other thing, but please, at least try to discuss constructively. If you absolutely want to argue, at least move it Private Messaging. :yes:

Can you believe this? They are actually doing it in this thread. :no:

“Fanboys of your own opinions.”

My opinion is the above concept is relevant.

I respect all who disagree as well.

Hi Guys,

I agree completely with Jonathan. Wise words from a equally wise man.

In my opinion fan-boys usually think they are giving criticism and that some how they’re comments are bettering the blender community. They feel that Blender needs defending from evils who seek to destroy it. Unfortunately their efforts are a little blinded and they miss the point of giving constructive criticism and having a great open source tool for everyone to use.

Generally, constructive criticism should address an area that needs improving but does not speak to the person’s self. Constructive criticism should be a reasoned, unemotional response in an effort to teach not as an attack on someone who has a differing opinion or preference. Without constructive feedback a system can never grow.

The simple fact is that Blender is impressive enough to compete with other 3D programs, just look at the Mango project. The combined efforts of many to create art is awesome and defends itself.

So if your a fan-boy, instead of using your words to show how impressive blender is, why not show it in your art and let people make up their own minds.

Just thought I’d add my 2 cents worth. :wink:

@holyenigma74, Philippe M.,x3dx, Sanne, and animaguy:
You guys are all correct. This is getting out of hand… and ironic, now that I think about it. I apologize to all forum members who had to read this.

My opinion is:

Sharing ideas, collaboration and respect are valuable commodities that money cannot simply buy.

You can pay me $4000 to tell you what you want to hear, tolerate you and nod my head in agreement for a brief period of time.

But it takes more than $4000 to genuinely share, collaborate and respect you.

Behaving professionally is very important to being a “good member” of this forum and to earning the priviledge of sharing ideas, collaborating and gaining the respect of others.

This is my sole opinion, I do not speak for anyone but myself. If anyone disagrees with this post I have no issue with that and I reserve the right to continue to stand by my position in regards to the matter of how to be a good member.

Greetings to all.

When I think of the term fanbois I think of rude and antagonistic behavior in defense of ones favorite software. That kind of behavior is counter productive and has no place that I can see in this community. In addition I feel that applying the term to those that don't agree with someone or the corporate line to be equally destructive, so there is definitely in my opinion housekeeping to be done on both sides of the "which software is best" discussion/argument.

I think there are other forms of behavior besides fanboys that are counter productive to being a good member of a forum such as this. New members need time to settle in and become good contributors. Members who have been around have more experience and history with this forum. Some experienced Members have gone on to be fantastic contributors and even moderators who keep everything in control.

However, there are obviously some experienced members who been members for some time who intimidate and play games with other members and even do so with new members.

This isn’t a problem that is unusual. Members who have been around for a while can sometimes get cranky and cynical (this is the polar opposite of an extreme fanboy who is so enthusiastic that they over compensate their excitement by displaying extreme loyalty that others find counter productive).

I am an experienced forum user in that I have registered with many forums, so I know what it is like to be a “newbie” and an “old timer”. I have not been on this forum for a long time so technically I can be considered a “newbie”. But that does not genuinely reflect what I know and what I do not know.

I can tell who the “cranky and cynical” old timer members are when they engage in “bullying tactics” that are designed to “keep newbies in their place”.

This behavior may not be categorized as “fanboyism” but it is nevertheless counterproductive and unprofessional.

Older members should be held to a higher standard of forum etiquette by default and newer members should be tolerated for the learning curve that takes time to understand the “house rules”.

I will not be a newbie on this forum forever, I am confident of that, and I hope that when I become more known in this community (which will happen in due time) I do not engage in the “bullying tactics” from older and more cynical users I have already seen on this forum.

The old timer “bullying tactics” is not “fanboyism” by definition, but it is nevertheless shameful and counterproductive behavior just the same.

Hey everyone,

Theres an interesting article by Ernest Adams here: http://www.designersnotebook.com/Columns/115_A_Call_to_Arms/115_a_call_to_arms.htm. It was originally sent to me by a games design lecturer so although it specifically focuses on game design, trolls and attitudes towards women, I think it has some interesting parallels.

The article deals with more extreme behaviour. I’m not suggesting that the problems we face as a community in relation to fanboyism are as bad as those laid out in the article, far from it. I also think some of the posed solutions are a bit extreme. But, what I think it highlights is our responsibility as a community to regulate ourselves.

It’s great that Jonathan has started this thread and that so many people agree with his points of view. I do myself. But it shouldn’t be upto Jonathan alone. We should all take responsibility for ourselves, making sure our conduct is in the spirit we want our community to be seen in.

I think everyone is aware that all forums will have fanboys, and trolls. But I think BA is actually pretty good. Gaming forums seem to be much worse. But if a member makes a comment along the “Blender rocks, Autodesk sucks” theme, maybe more of us should politely speak out against it. Possibly with just a link to this thread. But we should always be careful to listen to peoples opinions and not instantly berate them.

I think the point I’m trying to make, is the larger point made in the article. Which is, this is our community, and it’s our responsibility to make it great.

Toodley oodley.

But we should always be careful to listen to peoples opinions and not instantly berate them.

I already know what that is all about.

Name calling is unbecoming of any and all forums. Calling a person a “fanboy” is unprofessional by any standard.

Moderators are in charge of making decisions on behalf of the community.

Individual members have the right to “report” behavior that is questionable.

But those who berate and resort to name calling publicly by calling others a “fanboy” or “fraud” is a clear sign of unprofessional behavior.

I said in an earlier post and I say again. I did not believe that Jonathon W. intent was to make “fanboy” the standard pejorative on this forum, I believe his intent was to encourage a proactive effort in conducting ourselves professionally.

When members who have been around for some time start to gang up on new members who are still making their way around this forum, that is by far a breach of professional behavior than merely an individual who is overly excited about their enjoyment of using Blender as a 3D application.

you really want to get this thread closed dont you, animaguy?

Sorry if you thought I was referring to something in particular, I wasn’t. That was meant as a general observation.

I agree. That was my intent also. Sorry if it came across in any other way.

Its unfortunate that there was felt a need to have this discussion,especially considering the vast majority of members that post here have a common goal. What software package one uses to work towards that goal is a matter of personal choice,mine is to use Blender at this point in time for my own reasons. I do feel that the cost argument isn’t a valid one as I had no trouble at all in acquiring the student version of Max from Autodesk.Cost doesn’t become an issue until one choses to go professional and at that point its the cost of the tools of your chosen trade and the cost of doing business. I chose Blender because that is what I am comfortable with and couldn’t care less what others are using.

I have found over the years that the hard core fanboy generally tends to come in two flavors. First we have the overly enthusiastic and passionate user which I have little problem with provided his or her actions don’t disrupt the flow of information. The second group consists of those who behave poorly because its the Internet and they can. The first group will more then likely take this thread to heart and clean up there act,the second group are giggling like a bunch of 12 year old school girls because they got to ya. There is of course an ego component that figures into the mix.

To the fanbois out there I would say that this community is critically dependent on the unrestricted flow of information,more so then most. If you are a legitimate Blender user/fan keep that in mind and think before you post. You are entitled to your opinion but those Johnson waving contests benefit no one. I would go as far as to say that all your doing is feeding the pay-ware sides fanbois of which there are more then a few.

I believe the issue is professional behavior on this forum.

How to be a good member of this community.

Some have argued that fanboys are not the only issue.

I am not the only one to point that out.

I respect the originator of this post for the countless video tutorials he has made.

But IMHO being a good member does not include calling excited New Blender users names like “fanboys”.

Older members who call newer members names like “fanboys” is unprofessional.

That is my humble opinion.

Thank you for allowing me to share my opinion.

EDIT:

I would like to humbly add that:

If we keep our participation civil this community will prosper.

I am confident that the assigned moderators are judicious in the decisions that they make regarding their fiduciary responsibility to this forum. And of course this claim is based solely on my observations.

No kidding… going from one thread to another trying to one’s force views is no way of gaining respect… But maybe that is the intent? Maybe some people collect locked threads as a matter of pride…?

Just report him every time he does it… It’s what I’ve been doing… if enough people speak up he’ll find himself unable to post…

Congrats animaguy! You just reiterated your same opinion for like the 20th time on this thread without actually bringing new useful information (three times on this page alone). I’ve gone from amused, to disbelief, to completely annoyed at how you just keep replying to this thread and many others, when you actually have no need to do so since you’ve already stated your same opinion so many times. I have a hard time believing that I’m the only one that is noticing this trend.

In my six years on this forum, you’re the first person that I’ve finally gotten sick of hearing them spray “me, me, me and my opinion” and added you to my previously empty Ignore List. So congrats for the being the first and only person I’ve felt a need to “silence” so I can focus on the useful stuff.

I’m glad that you’ve found Blender and are so excited about it, I hope you keep using it, improving your skills and telling people about how great it is. I’m saying that with 100% honesty as I think the community here is one of the great things about Blender. But before posting to a thread, stop and think “Am I contributing useful information to this thread, or am I just reiterating my opinion again, which 99% of the people here don’t find particularly useful or professional”. If you need to state your “IMO”, do it once and leave it be.

Maybe stop posting and reposting so much about your opinions on so many threads, and use that incredible amount of time you save to become an expert Blender user and create some amazing 3d artwork. I’m sure many on here would appreciate the more seamless flow of useful information on the threads they find helpful or interesting as a result. At this point, the constant white noise you’re making is extremely unprofessional and is just wasting your time and others who don’t want to hear you reiterate your opinion over and over, and don’t have you blocked… yet.

Looks like i have received some backup, and try to ellaborate more on what youre trying to say instead of just saying “does it”, does what? Tell someone to shutup and keep his views and opinions to himself. Even though, you might ask what has that got to do with me? Well, hes been causing troubles in my previous threads causing them to be closed.