HOW-TO :: Camera Circling

This is how I solved my problem of the camera circling my character.

Pre-requisites:
Center the character in the sceneDetermine which path the camera will travelPlace an empty between the character and the cameraDivide the length of your path in quarters. Label each quarter-point A, B, C, and D.Add a Track-To constraint to the camera to follow the empty
Timeline
Frame A: Place camera with starting view of target and character. Insert frame.Frame B: Place camera and empty half-way along the path of travel. Insert frame.Frame C: Place camera and empty three-quarters along the path of travel. Insert frame.Frame D: Place camera and empty at the end of the path of travel. Insert frame.
Using the above method allowed me to solve the problem of a static camera. Having the viewpoint of my animation move around the character adds an active element to the movie and a touch of “reality”.

I hope this mini HOW-TO helps other animators. Paths were my first solution to camera circling which led, unfortunately, to a dead-end. I became mired in an attempt to solve the one-hundred frame length of a path. Only stepping back from my problem and assuming a different perspective allowed me to see a solution.

A heartfelt “thank you” to all users of Elysiun for creating an environment that is so full of creative energy!

Thank you, Bob

This is the path to a mirror for GreyBeard’s Path and Dupliframes video tutorial. It covers paths very very well. Yes, you could have done what you wanted to do with paths:

http://www.ibiblio.org/bvidtute/mytut/dupliframe.avi

Just right click it and save. Hope you have a DSL or cable modem :wink: