How to completely delete hooks?

I made a mesh, added a lot of hooks to it, then decided I don’t want them, so I used select by type, empty and deleted them. Sounds simple enough. But then I noticed that those dots created by the hooks were still there…
After fiddling with various hotkeys, I remembered Ctrl H, so there was a remove option there, with all the hooks listed nicely. Unfortunately it seems that you can only remove them one at a time. I have a lot. How do you remove them in one go?

up at the top pulldown menu under view and controls ( i think ) there is a list of things that you can duplicate along with the mesh. if you uncheck one, that thing won’t be duplicated. so look to see if hooks is on there. i’m guessing you can do it by duplicating.

Nothing there as far as I can tell…
Must be misunderstanding me. I mean, the remove option in Ctrl H only allows single selections. Click one and the menu goes away. Tried Ctrl A, A, dragging, etc, and I cannot select all the items in the list at once.
Another thing I noticed is that if you use the remove option in Ctrl H while the hook empties are still present, the dot vanish but the empty remains. Strange behavior…