How to constrain bone axis?

Isn’t their a way to make bones so that they can only move along certain axis? I’m not sure how to do it.

Also does this work in the game engine? I thought I heard that it doesn’t but I’m not sure.

Thank you. :slight_smile:

You can set the Degree of Freedom (DoF) of bones in an IK-Chain only. You could also add an unattatched bone or an Empty and put a TrackTo constraint on the Armature bone and use the loose bone or empty as the Target. No idea about the GE.

%<

All right, but what’s an Ik chain and where do I find it?

It’s a Chain of connected bones with an IK-Solver Constraint. Select the End bone and Ctrl-I. In F9 a list of options for each bone will appear where you can set DoF for each axis.

%<

Hmm, that’s going to be a little difficult for what I’m trying to do.

This is it: I’m trying to make some eyelids blink with two bones, one for each eye. The eyes of my character are somewhat slanted so I have to make the eyelids slanted as well. Now I want it so that the eyelids blink slanted-ways.

I had no problem modeling the eyelids, although they are a bit simple, but they work excellently. When they blink they follow the eye very well, but I’d like to make sure the bones lead them in the right direction. How can I make it so that the bone’s degrees of freedom are constrained along the axis of the slant?