How to correctly use UV mapping?

So I’m working on a project for university, and one part is that I’m doing is making my own structures in Blender… I followed this (long) walkthrough, but I can’t seem to get past the part with the UV mapping… This uploaded image is mine, which is all formed weird… As a new member I can’t upload the second image, which is what I’m trying to get mine to look like, but the correct UV map is on Step 7 on the ’ Creating a Low Poly Medieval House in Blender: Part 2’ tutorial by Karan Shah… If anyone wouldn’t mind helping, I’d GREATLY appreciate it

Hey. So the best bit of advice I ever heard regrading UV maps, was to imagine your 3D model is made of paper, and using Scissors, you’re trying to make it lay flat again. So looking at your model, how would you cut this up, in order to lay it flat. Because that’s essentially what UV unwrapping is.

There’s no right or wrong way, per say, but there are definitely less than optimal ways, which is what you have got currently. With what I said above in mind, I’d focus on splitting the upper, lower, and roof of the house with seams, and going from there.

1 Like

Thanks! I apologize, I’m new to Blender… I’ll do my best though! Much appreciated!

Looks like your model has no cuts… You need to place a fair number of seams for unwrapping to work. To avoid doing that manually if you don’t know how to do, use the smart unwrap option. It won’t do the best of jobs, but that’s a start…

1 Like

Sometimes it can help to add edges to help with the unwrap process. Just a tip.

1 Like

If completely new to UV, probably best to check out some youtube stuff and do some tutorials. I tend to avoid them and use other approaches (requires some knowledge) unless I really have to for continuity. Only if you need to distort the geometry or export for game engine use would be it absolutely required.