How to Create a Minion in Blender - Part 4

here’s part 3 of my Minion series.
If anyone has suggestions about making my videos better I’d love to hear them!

Voice is good, speech is fast which might be hard to follow for some but much clearer than tutorials that teach all about the word “umm”. Quite clear audio too, without too distracting background noise.

Although audio levels are something not very many know to pay attention to. People probably won’t notice when those are right, but will notice right away when they’re wrong. Recording levels should stay neutral and without too high spikes to avoid clipping. It would also avoid too much fluctuation in levels (that might need to be corrected afterwards). Didn’t notice a problem with that but something to check when setup changes, microphone position changes, or the settings change between recordings.

There is a problem with output levels, they should be consistent across all videos you make. The levels were ok in the first part of the series but in the third part you’re shouting in people’s ears. The music gets loud too.

Could maybe think of the target audience, perhaps starting with what level of skill is required to be able to follow (beginner, intermediate, advanced). Then think what information in the tutorial are most valuable to them. The subject matter is quite simple, consisting of simple forms, which suggests it’s a tutorial for beginners.

Using wireframe shots as a reference is not great. There’s nothing to learn about using actual references, including the reason why 16 vertices is better than the default 32 which would be very valuable information for a beginner. The second part also starts wrong, rushing into the timelapse and talking about using a skin modifier, something called an armature, which mean nothing for people who need the information. A beginner might figure out that you have to make a skeleton mesh with vertices and edges, but would immediately run into a problem with scaling.

A timelapse could be considered as non-information. If you make a long timelapse and stop to show an important step, people might not know to find that part and run into a trouble while trying to make the thing themselves. They might not want to sit through the whole thing and wait something to happen. Could consider saying this is involves repetitive steps and show how to get started as a reminder, then short timelapse or just cut into the important/difficult part.

Making some cuts in the recording might help. You talk fast but it shouldn’t be a race, maybe take a break once in a while. Could drink water, go to the bathroom, and then show another thing that adds to the quality instead of quantity.

Using face snapping to project vertices from the goggles on the head surface might be too involved thing to explain/show, but could use the inset tool instead of extrude+scale to make things easier.

Thank you for your thoughts! I’ll definitely take them all into consideration for my next videos.

I’ll look into making the audio levels as consistent as I can. And I’ll state the difficulty of the tutorial at the beginning or in the description.
I see what you mean by not explaining why 16 vertices is better than 34 and using vertices and edges, because I’ve been using blender for so long I forget what isn’t obvious to some people.

The main reason why I talk fast and rush is becasue I don’t have a small internet cap where I live, but my family is moving on the 7th so I wont have that problem anymore! So I’ll definitely slow down and take my time to explain things. That’s also why Part 5 will only be uploaded sometime next week.

Thank you for your feedback! I’ll implement all you said in Part 5! You’re you only person who’s given me proper advice since I’ve started.