How To Create Demonic Ink

Just in time for Halloween! Here’s a cool unworldly ink effect I discovered while using the Dynamic Paint Modifier.

The tutorial is 30min long, but I’ve tried to make it easier by breaking it into 4 sections which you can check out at the beginning of the video. The annotations skip forward to the relevant part.

Wonderful tutorial, well done, thank you. I will want to re-watch it to try and make better sense. I thought your compositing flow might lend itself to a better solution to my quest for a water color layer, which then gets overlaid with Freestyle line work. I will have to try some of this out when I get a chance. I may ask for the Blend file to help make better sense?? Thank you again. The final effect is excellent. I also saw your ink flow demo on your site, but did not see a tutorial on that one??

Thank you! Yes, it took a while to create so that every part is clear and makes sense.

I thought your compositing flow might lend itself to a better solution to my quest for a water color layer, which then gets overlaid with Freestyle line work. I will have to try some of this out when I get a chance.

I’d love to see that. A mix of organic and CG styles would be nice.

I may ask for the Blend file to help make better sense?? Thank you again. The final effect is excellent

Blend file is here: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B9HuiWE0FjVEMWxFakxpMVZZNXM/edit?usp=sharing

I also saw your ink flow demo on your site, but did not see a tutorial on that one??

It sounds like you want to see a tutorial? :slight_smile: Sure, I’d be glad to make one. I may even elaborate on it a little bit.

And here’s a link to the spreading ink image sequence:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B9HuiWE0FjVEaTgwckt6by1QY2c/edit?usp=sharing

Hey there illusionist, what screen recorder and video editor are you using for your cool tuts?

I am using Camstudio version 2.7 with their Lossless Codec at around 20 f/s. I then encode it using VLC player to a more usable format. I’ve been editing in after effect, but I’m probably going to switch over to premiere pro due to the render times going through the roof!

how do you use vlc for doing that? i dont see any options for changing the encoding (i normally just compress the files using blender)

Hmmm, I thought that After Effects was multi threaded? If you are using CC isn’t the media encoder like the best thing for compressing?

Hi David. BTW - I replied to your comments on my blog post.

Yeah, AE is multithreaded, and I’m pretty sure adobe media encoder is the best thing. Honestly, I still am not expert at using it for rendering out (vs. just encoding video) so I could definitely optimize.

I think really one of the biggest issues was that I recorded my screencap using a lossless codec that couldn’t be read by any other application except VLC. So capturing, encoding, reincoding. etc etc. is definitely not the most intuitive workflow. I’m sure I’ll get a better method working in the future :slight_smile: