How to create incrusted text on objects ?

Hi,

I’m wondering how one can create an incrusted text or surface on objects ? What’s the best way to approach this ?

thanks in advance,

Hans

you mean “indented”?

it depends,…one way would be to make a text object, give it some depth and bevel in the edit buttons, and place it on the surface and sink it in a bit. if you want the text to be actually part of the surface, you have 2 options: use alt c to convert the text to a curve, then again to a mesh, and physically join the text and surface, or, the other option would be to make a dense grid, load a negative image of your text onto it as a texture, then, go into the edit buttons and hit ‘noise’ a couple of times.

Another option is to use a “BumpMap”, that is, to use a gray-scale image with dark gary letters on a light gray background. UVmap it to the surface that you want. The NOR setting applies how much the surfaced is raised.

If this sounds interesting to you, let me know, I can give you more information on this.

Hi Agness,

"you mean “indented”? "

Yes, that’s what I meant, sorry for the bad english :expressionless:

Hans

Hi Modron, thanks for the answer !

"it depends,…one way would be to make a text object, give it some depth and bevel in the edit buttons, and place it on the surface and sink it in a bit. "

But if you do this and sink the text into the surface, you won’t see the text anymore, or at least that’s what i get here, maybe I’m doing something wrong ?

“if you want the text to be actually part of the surface, you have 2 options: use alt c to convert the text to a curve, then again to a mesh, and physically join the text and surface, or, the other option would be to make a dense grid, load a negative image of your text onto it as a texture, then, go into the edit buttons and hit ‘noise’ a couple of times.”

I don’t have yet explored this option, actually I have to learn to texture objects a bit more, but I’ll try your suggestion tomorrow, thanks a lot !

best,

Hans

Hi Spin, thanks for the help,

“Another option is to use a “BumpMap”, that is, to use a gray-scale image with dark gary letters on a light gray background. UVmap it to the surface that you want. The NOR setting applies how much the surfaced is raised. If this sounds interesting to you, let me know, I can give you more information on this.”

Sounds definitely interesting, I didn’t yet play around with these features in Blender, thanks so much !

best,

Hans

Here’s a sample:

Flat Image.
Dark colors stick out, light colors sink in.
http://mysite.verizon.net/vze3nvj6/Blender/forum/Raised02.jpg

Rendered, with UVmapping and NOR
http://mysite.verizon.net/vze3nvj6/Blender/forum/Raised.jpg

Now the flat panel could be any color or pattern, or even metallic.

Wow Spin, that’s exactly what I was looking for, I guess this is also usuable for simple forms, not just text ?

thanks so much for taking the time to explain it with images, much appreciated !

best,

Hans

You could try this:
Make a text object, then convert it to curve (alt-C). In edit mode create circle and place it around the text. Now give it a bit of thickness, the text should be cut straight through the circle. Put a plane in the middle of it if you don’t want to see through.
http://web.telia.com/~u18510119/temp/ex1.jpg

If I wanted a bit more control I’d probably form the letters myself as a mesh, making sure the corners all had a couple of vertices so it’d look good subsurfaced. Then extrude it for some depth, delete the front face and build up a surface between the letters. Works well if you don’t want to write alot.
(for this example I used the standard text, so the X looks a little funny when it’s subsufed)
http://web.telia.com/~u18510119/temp/ex.jpg

I use this method a lot, here’s an example (I hope Lemmy doesn’t think I am hijacking this thread too).

Notice that this image has some faded shades, for smoothness. And some hard edges for non-smoothness.

BEFORE (Original image is much larger)

AFTER

Hi Spin and Pofo, you guys are fantastic, thanks a lot, this is increadible stuff, each time I ask a question on this forum, I feel I learn so much, this forum is like a gold mine for Blender users !

thanks again,

Hans

cant you also use bezier curves to create raised or lowered text or objects