How to create new geometry with subdivide

Hi

How can I subdivide a face without getting the faces near torn up to triangles? I can select the faces then delete the edge then fill the gap but that I dont like to do

plz check this screenshot

How can I make new geometry for this face without the faces next to it getting screwed

link:
http://www.tr-racing.de/katze/df.jpg

Assuming you want to make new geometry within that face, then I would say if you wanted to use the knife tool and not mess up the other faces you might have trouble.

Try using loopcuts (k-cut face loop OR ctrl+r) to make the geometry. Be careful on subsurfed objects though because the increase geometry can sometimes make the edges in those are get sharp.

why can´t blender just have a nice tool like in maya or wings that lets me just split an edge or subdivide WITHOUT SCREWING ANYTHING NEXT TO IT…

sigh

Is there a painless way to make new geometry?

I use mostly extrusion and the knife tool. Did you try the knife tool?

With only three and four point faces available, it is nearly impossible for Blender to do that unless it just picked a random two tris to make into a square, which I would not prefer. You can join two triangles into a square with shift or ctrl + j. I can’t remember which offhand.

When I check the knife tool the faces next to this1 get screwed (triangles). In the online reference this does not happen

It happens initially, and then as it goes through more edges it should not happen. It is unavoidable… repair by joining triangles. Hit “f” to go into face select mode to get them quicker, then tab into edit mode to join them, repeat.

So when I start to model I have to plan ahead where I want the subdivsions? I can use the edge loop cut but why can´t this just be easy and intuitive? In maya PLE and wings you can just cut edges. I am a total newb but why does stuff in blender have to be in my way instead of being intuitive (like the confusing and well hidden save/load menus)

Blender doesn’t support n-gons, you can only use 3 or 4 sided polygons. When subdividing an edge, it has to subdivide the faces formed by that edge.

(like the confusing and well hidden save/load menus)

Right, there in the File menu, it’s well hidden where nobody will find them.

Martin

Just do Extrude and then Scale, this will scale the vertices to the face normal giveing you five new faces with four sides each on the same palin as the origonal face.

Generally, it is a good idea to plan your model out to begin with. This helps you get well defined face/edge loops. I know that in Maya you can just cut edges anywhere and it bugged me a bit at first that Blender made those tris on other faces too but if you think about it, at least you never have to use the poly cleanup tool to tessellate faces with more than 4 sides (and that makes awkward tris too). I sometimes forgot and ended up with skinned models that had n-gons. That’s bad in game engines.

As for hidden menus, they are certainly no more hidden than Maya’s (I’ve spent countless wasted minutes looking for simple tools). Admittedly, there are tools that seem to only be accessible via hotkeys (maybe I just haven’t found the menus though, like ortho bottom, left and back views) but you get to learn where things are the more you use Blender - it’s the same with any software. BTW, the open/save thing might be hidden if you click the triangle in the top left or if you removed the header.

My workflow has increased since dropping Maya and using Blender. I’m also making better models because I found that a lot of Maya’s methods cater for noobs and make you lazy. You will also find the tutorials and 3D techniques more accessible and more informative than for Maya. The tutorials I had for Maya didn’t even teach 3-point lighting, AO, GI, caustics or radiosity (mainly because Maya’s internal renderer only supports the first of those). Lighting is one of the most important elements in CG. I also hated having to make poly proxys for every low-poly model and have it produce a separate model and then duplicate the lp model to find you have to subdiv that separately. In Blender you just click one button and it’s done. Also, at least Blender doesn’t have a separate subd object type - that got confusing. It’s just mesh and NURBs. Simple and elegant.

As for your specific problem, ReeVee’s comment should work. If you want to subdivide edges manually, don’t press the subdivide button, use the knife (k key). To get rid of any tris, select the 4 vertices around 2 tris and press j to merge them.

I am using blender for 4 days now and I actually like the modeling stuf. Just the thing with getting new geometry (like on the screenshot) gets me confused.

Another question…

If I want to make low poly things like weapons/player models for cs etc I should strictly use just primitive stuf (no nurbs/subdivision modeling)? Or can I make a high detail model and then scale the detail lvl down?

Don’t worry, if you’ve spent enough time with Maya, you should pick it up fairly quickly. Give it about a month or so to get fully aquainted with the interface & geometry setup.

To answer your question, just use low poly for games. There wouldn’t be much point in making a detailed model if you were going to remove the detail later.

so what is the best way to make a hollow cylinder? I can do it by creating 2 circles of differen size and connect the verices then extrude. Is there a faster way?

Using curves.

Add -> Curve -> NURBS Circle
Shift-D
Skey (size down)
Switch to the Editing window (F9)
Increase Ext1

done

Martin

Jeff: You can model high-polygon objects and use other tools to reduce the geometry to a target number. This would be extremely useful if you plan on making models for something like Unreal 3 :slight_smile: The reason could be that a high-poly model can be used to create animations/cut-scenes for games whereas the low poly model will be an actual character/object within the game. I’m not sure how good the decimator tool in Blender is but I think it can be used to reduce the poly-count of the meshes.

For the hollow cylinder, add a circle mesh in top view. EKEY to extrude and hit SKEY right way to scale. You have a hollow disc. Now select all vertices with AKEY and in the front view or side view hit EKEY to extrude along one axis. Use “Set Smooth” and “Auto Smooth” in Edit Buttons to setup smoothing for round surface.

I have found it out myself

thx anyway for answering all my dumb questions… :smiley:

Fast hollow cylinder

add > surface > NURBS Tube
Tab to Object Mode
Alt CKEY to convert to mesh

if needed ajust NURBS Tube Geometry on Editing (F9) > Curve Tools before converting i.e. Resol U V