how to decrease number of meshes?

Hi,

I have integrated a logo in .ai format under blender.
Integration is ok, but when I convert it to a mesh by using alt-C, I get indeed a mesh but with a high amount of vertices.
I think far too much for an easy and simple shape.

Is there a way to decrease the number of meshes?

thanks in advance

While your logo is still a curve, go to the ‘Curve and Surface’ panel in the Edit buttons (F9) and change the parameter for ‘DefResolU’ : this is used to smooth out the curves, primarily, but it also tells you how many vertices will be added between each control vertices of your curve. Add to that on vertice for each control vertice and you have the count.

Jean

ok, but it is not exactly what I want.
When I convert it to meshes, I don’t want the vertices to be linked together to make inside edges. I only want outside edges, outlining my logo, I don’t want it to be “filled” with edges.
So each vertices should be linked to 2 and only 2 vertices
I suppose it is possible to set it up

Ok, please froget my last silly comment.
I am newbie.
In fact I have just to import my ai file with an unfilled shape and that’s it.
I will fill it under blender.
However, I think there are always too much “edges”, when a plane shape is filled

thanks Jean

Well you said nothing about edges, just that there were too many vertices, which there often are. Keep the technique I explained to reduce their number in mind since it’ll come in handy sooner than later.

When I convert it to meshes, I don’t want the vertices to be linked together to make inside edges. I only want outside edges, outlining my logo, I don’t want it to be “filled” with edges.
So each vertices should be linked to 2 and only 2 vertices
I suppose it is possible to set it up

Just below ‘DefResolU’ there is a button named ‘3D’: check it just before converting your cur to mesh and then the inside of your curves will be empty.
It is a side effect but it works.
Jean

That’s all right, we’ve all been there.
And your solution may very well be the best, althoug you’ll still have to reduce the number of vertices, especially if you are going to fill by hand.

On the Blender side, you could reduce the number of edges by converting most of the filling triangles to quads: in EditMode, select the faces you want to make quads (as many as you want) and use the Alt+J shortcut. Unfortunately, for the moment Blender doesn’t have Ngons (polygons with 5+ sides) so you’re limited to quads. You could use Fgons (fake polygons) to visually hide the edges inside and ease up selection but remember that those are not real Ngons but still a bunch of tris and quads. Select a few faces and use Fkey > Make Fgons.

Jean

Thanks Jean!
I’ll try that out!

To quickly lower the number of vertices you could just use remove doubles. Increase the value for remove doubles until it starts to effect your mesh shape.