how to delete a material?

Hi, I would like to know if it’s possible to delete a material from a blender file… I mean how to make it disappear from material drop down list…

thanks,

boost

If the material’s not connected to anything, it will disappear if you save, exit blender and reopen the file.

ok thanks :slight_smile:

Wow, that’s unintuitive. :frowning: As is the coordination of materials in general. I hope there will be some sort of a material browser implented some day. (and no, that sad little context-menu does not count)

Yeah. I know it makes sense to someone who’s gotten used to it, though the old “how do I add two colours to one mesh?” is always a stumbling block to newbies. I reckon it needs a bit if a rethink to clarify the differences of all things “material”. First you need a separate material pigment for each surface type, then you need a set of different material properties to be made up (e.g: each colour) and then you need to selectively assign both to the vertices you want them on… kind of. It is confusing the way it is. Having all material controls on the same panel instead of two (or three if you include the assigning as separate) would be a good start.