How to determine scale? One object to another?

If one is constructing a scene with characters and buildings, how do you work the scale from one to another.

I tried to use the NKEY to find the SIZEX SIZEY SIZEZ values, its a great idea, but there seems to be an inconsistency. For example, Add one plade scale it up by dragging. Great

Now add another plane scale that up to something different.

select each in turn an press the NKEY. Note the Size values, they dont seem to be proportional. A plane that visually looks larger than the other will have for instance a size in all direction of say 1.00 the smaller looking plane will have a value of say 4.00. they are both at the same Y pos.

What’s up here…?

Are you scaling the meshes up in edit mode or in object mode? Manipulation in edit mode (scaling, rotation, moving) has no effect on size, rotation, or location attributes of an object - it manipulates mesh data.

If you scale planes in edit mode, any size mesh can display SizeX = 1.0, SizeY = 1.0, SizeZ = 1.0. If you scale two planes differently, their displayed size attributes will differ. In fact, the “size attributes” have nothing to do with the mesh data; location, rotation and scale parameters are properties of objects.

You can try this out by creating two meshes - a cube and a UV sphere. Then scale the cube up in object mode - that will change the scale parameters of the object to which the cube is linked. Now, go to the edit buttons and make a change in the MESH: block - click on the minus and select UVSphere. Now, the object you once knew as a cube is now a UV sphere, except scaled up a bit. If you go into edit mode and move around some vertices, you will notice that the vertices move on BOTH OBJECTS. You are using the same raw mesh data twice - and the mesh has two different sizes. That’s because size data is not specific to meshes; it’s specific to objects.

This explanation might be a bit lengthy and overblown, but I’d rather overdo it and try to explain clearly than assume you know a ton about the program and get nothing accomplished. I hope this helps -
Matt

Does this help?
Matt

Great help indeed Matt!! Thanks for the lengthy explanation.

If I understand correctly to have objects actually scale correctly to one another for say a cartoon animation, it is better to scale the objects in object mode first and never scale them in edit mode.

It makes sense to me now as I do recall doing some scaling in edit mode assuming there was no difference.

I had to read your explanation a couple of times (love the detail)

Thanks!

In any case you can use those nice dark gray lines around there…

let’s pretend the side of a square is 1 meter, 1 foot, 1 kilometer and build everything with this in mind.

Stefano

Yes that is an interesting point. Tried that, but if you zoom back enough they get smaller, as is to be expected, but then just a little bit further back they all of a sudden seem to reset themselves, if you know what I mean.

But never-the-less, you’ve solved my problem. Onwards…

Thanks.

No, I don’t know… but Blender camera has a ClipEnd number which is the MAXIMUM distance at which an object is still drawn.

By default it is 100

If your object is farther tha 100 it simply disappears.

You can rise ClipEnd, of course!

Make objects the right dimennsion and having the rendering engine doing perspective is better than faking perspective by changing relative sizes :slight_smile:

Stefano

Thanks for all your help…

I have now finally worked out the method that works for my purposes.

Now to get to work…