How to duplicate an animated skeleton, but remaining independent in the end?

Happy New Year to everyone!

I duplicated it, in obj mode I think, but it also kept the animation keyframes, and most significantly it seems to be using the same Armature datablock. This last part makes me wonder if any changes I do to this copy using the same Armature datablock will ultimately affect the original?

Thanks guys!

JDL

This last part makes me wonder if any changes I do to this copy using the same Armature datablock will ultimately affect the original?
What happens when you test it ?

If your armature has actions assigned to it when you copy it then these actions will also be copied, not linked unless you made a linked duplicate of the armature (Alt+D)

Hi Ricky (if I may call you Ricky…)
Actually sorry for my thread message not being clearer, but although the original skeleton does have an animation I do not intend to keep it. Aside of the skeleton itself I only need the vertex weights, and the IK.
However, I’ll have to start over because I had realized that the 2nd mesh was facing the opposite way before I parented the mesh and the skeleton. When I played the animation I saw it was the opposite arm doing the waving.
So I’ll start by unparenting the 2 parts, then I’ll rotate 180 the mesh, and I’ll try again.
But how exactly should I proceed to copy the skeleton now?

Select both the rig and mesh in object mode, and duplicate them at the same time (shift+D). You shouldn’t have to do anything else other than that.

If for whatever reason it’s using the same action block, go into the dope sheet and change the drop down to ‘action editor’, and press the little plus sign beside the action name. This will copy the action so they will be independent of one another.

It all seems to be working fine now!
Thanks a bunch for your help guys! :slight_smile:

JDL