How to email avi animations

Hi; All

I emailed an avi animation to a few friends, to show them Blender and what it could do but when they opened the animation all they saw was a black screen, why?

Thank's 
      Dhodges38

Probably a codec issue. Some media players (WMP in particular) only recognize certain video/audio codecs, so if you used one your recipient’s player doesn’t recognize, it won’t play.

E-mailing the .avi has nothing to do with the problem, btw.

It plays on my player and mine is older. “E-mailing the .avi has nothing to do with the problem, btw.” I did not think so either.
Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Dhodges38

just use VLC, it reads approximately everything.

An avi it’s just a container, you need to know what codec you are using to suggest the appropriate codec to your friend; but as i said, just use VLC.

http://www.videolan.org/vlc/

What will VLC do? I just started using Blender on 1-5-2012.
Thank’s
Dhodges38

Doesn’t matter whether the player is “older” or “newer” or “newest” – if it can’t recognize the codec used, it won’t play the video, and even some up-to-date players lack full codec support. VLC is an Open Source media player with a very wide codec support library. Another one to try out is SMPlayer.

Are you suggesting I download VLC or that my friends download VLC?

Thank’s
Dhodges38

Or upload to youtube, set it to unlisted or private and email your friends a link to the video.

Thank’s for the tip, I have no experience with uploading videos, but I guess I will go to youtube and check it out. I was hoping to fix the problem on my end, I read some where about Microsoft video 1 codec but I can’t find it in 2.61.

Thank’s to all for the help,
Dhodges38

if your problem is to play your video, yes, VLC will do the trick.

I guess I am not making myself clear. I can play the video fine on MPC, Windows Media player and Real player, but when I email it to them they tell me that it looks like it is playing, But all they get is a black screen.

Thanks,
Dhodges38