How to finish a face

So, I’ve a face made from a flipped, Linked Duplicate, and I’d like to prepare it for mapping.

1. What’s the best way to merge all the seam vertices? Is there a one-button solution for this, or do I have to painstakingly merge each pair of vertices individually?
  2. If I have to do 1) then how do I unlink a linked duplicate?

Many thanks in advance. I did search around the forums, but didn’t find anything that worked for me.

Dene

1. If the seam vertices overlap, you can select all (A) and W>Remove Doubles.
  2. To unlink, go to the Link and Materials Panel of the Editing Context, and where is says near the top, there should be the mesh datablock with a little number next to it. Clicking the number will make it “single user”.

For future reference, if you are modeling half of a head, you can use the mirror modifer to simplify the process.
http://wiki.blender.org/index.php/Manual/Mirror_Modifier

If the seams don’t overlap, you can make them overlap by scaling to zero along the mirror axis.

If the face is modeled in front view, say, and the left and right sides are along the x axis – after you have unlinked the duplicates, and made sure your pivot is median point (that’s the default, hotkey is shift+comma),

Select the two sides of the seam, then type s,x,0 (that’s a zero.) This will move all selected verts to the average location on the x axis, which means the verts on the left seam and the verts on the right seam will overlap.

Then remove doubles.

Next time, follow egan’s advice about the mirror modifier.:smiley:

Thanks for the help folks; no idea how I managed to miss that link before! It would have been rather helpful. I presume the mirror modifier is relatively new?

It’s newer than the tutorial I suspect you were following.:wink:

Unfortunately, while some people tag their advice with the Blender version number, so people can get some idea how current the advice is, that politeness isn’t universal. Updating the official documentation (basically the blender wiki) is an enormous task (given the rapid pace of Blender development), and suffers from too few people actively working at it.

Used to be that anyone could update the Wiki, but it suffered from vandalism by people with “issues,” so the moderators decided to make Blender wiki an invitation-only affair.

BTW, Welcome to BlenderArtists :smiley:

Many thanks for the kind greeting. It’s things like this and the incredibly fast, helpful responses that’ll ensure Blender is a major contender for years to come.