How to fix artifact from this object?

Hello. I just finished texturing this Polaroid camera asset as a way to train my skills using PBR Painter addon on Blender instead of Substance Painter.

Right now I’m having this issue with an artifact (see images). These UV islands are overlapping so the artifact can be seem on both sides of the model.

The topology is terrible I know. In this study I decided to model using both subdivion and booleans for my modeling workflow and tried to see if I could fully texture a model even with so many n-gons.

I know that this artifact only shows up when I plug my PBR textures to the BSDF shader. I figured maybe this artifact would disappear if I dissolved the edges around it but this did not work.

Topology:

Blender file:
https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1xe1_sV-nucdSMep3-kiCajZYYQy3sa3_?usp=sharing

Hi, if you baked your textures with overlapped UVs, you often end up with some artifacts. It’s hard to see it as your UVs are quite stretched in this area (It’s better to keep a constant texel ratio, as a global rule) :

But you may have some slight gradients in your textures where you see the artifacts.
If you move these face UVs, the problem disappears :

1 Like

Hi! Thanks a lot, this worked. I’m still a bit confused because these artifacts did not show up up close but only showed up when I looked from a more distant viewpoint. So I imagined it might have something to do with mipmapping (eevee uses this technique for better performance, but I don’t think cycles does this), considering the paddings were just 16 pixels, they did not have an infinite dilation padding like substance’s exported textures.

As you pointed out My UVs are weird. I bought some UV addons mid production (especially Zen UV and UV Packmaster) and I’m still figuring out how to use them :sweat_smile:. I used Rizon UV for UV mapping before and now I’m trying to use Blender as much as I can.

I had decided to set a higher texel density to the parts where I’d need to project textures. Idk if that was a good idea specially thore were continuous areas :sweat_smile:. I’ll be more organized next time. Thank you agin!

1 Like