How to force generated UVs to follow a curve w/ screw modifier

I’m pretty close on this one, but maybe someone can shed some light on this.

I’m modeling a tin cup with a small lip that rolls over itself on the top. I’m using a curve and then revolving it around to make the basic cup form with the Screw Modifier.

I have the ‘Use UV for mapping’ option checked and it seems to be working for the most part, but the texture doesn’t follow the extruded model around the top lip of the cup.

It looks like it just reflects the texture vertically instead of following the model—you can see how the ‘G1’ is being reflected instead of wrapped. Anyone have an idea on if there’s any way to do this while keeping the setup that I have? Or is this a convert-to-mesh and unwrap type of fix :wink:

There’s a bit of detail that I want to add to the texture around the rim of the cup, so it’s unfortunate that this is the one part of the texture that isn’t lining up right.

Dear Forby
Did you manage to solve your problem ?
I try to understand the mapping with the screw modifier.
I want to show anisotopic effect with stainless steel material in cycle and screw modifier.
Thank you

What you have is adequate for UV driven tangents for aniso shading (noise and other texturing using these UVs would still have problems), as only direction matters. That said, radial based tends to be better when possible, due to UV tangents not being smoothed across the seam causing visible artifacts in some cases. I rarely use modifiers as a finishing thing, and I don’t know about the screw modifier. If applied you can UV unwrap based on selected quad.

Nope. CarlG is right, the only way I could achieve this is by applying the modifier and UV unwrapping it. ¯_(ツ)_/¯