How to get photorealisic Renders using blenders renderer

Hello,
I was wondering what I am supposed to do to get my renders look realistic, usually like the ones at the top of the page. I have figured out how to do it using Indigo, but the major drawback is that it takes days for all the noise to clear out (at least on my pc:confused:) So the question is how to get Indigo’s picture quality, by using Blenders internal renderer, or another renderer that is free and quick (e.g. yafray). The same renders that I produce that look real in Indigo, look really fake in Blender. I am also very interested in animation instead of just stills (like indigo) so I am kind of desperate!

Thanks alot!
-Tanner

In the long run Luxrender maybe more of the solution you’re searching for since the developer is working for a studio that does animation. Also, Blender native procedurals are supported :wink:

So what your saying is that its not possible to get a render look life-like in blender???

**Blender internal renderer that is

Blender’s AO plus a decent rig of lights with soft shadows should give a decent looking realistic scene if you wanted to use BI.

Combine that with realistic materials and you can get close to photorealism.

HINT: You’d use the light rig to provide a more GI-like look then just using AO.

It’s perfectly possible to go get photorealism in Blender. As with most renderers, it takes a lot of expertise to squeeze out their full potential. Look in the Blender galleries; most of the images were rendered in Blender Internal.

You can get realistic renderings from Blender internal, but the technique is going to be different than the approach used for a GI rendering engine like Indigo (or Yaf(a)ray or LuxRender)

Also, any GI rendering engine is going to take a fair amount of time. And they are gong to be a bit noisy. (Many people process them further using something like GREYCstoration to help reduce the noise.)

Well Blender internal is not VRay or Indigo.

The problem besides the light bounces and resulting effects (color bleeding - local soft diffuse illumination) is also different ways on how materials are approached.

Yafaray is released and if you want to have GI results us that one.
It is decently fast - has very good AA and can get better results than Blender currently does.

There are many GI solutions for Blender in the works but non is finished.
IBL for Blender as well as Lightcuts are promising steps.

Each time I go to an external system I miss what Blender offers with the material compositor !!!
It is like Maya’s shader network.

The easiest way is to find a photo-realistic photo, go to the sequence editor, add photo, hit sequence button, and render. :cool:

If that’s not an option, you must use a combination of lighting and texturing to get that photo-realistic look.

position a few bounce lights to emulate gi, use ao and some nice materials should do it.

Jack000

position a few bounce lights to emulate gi, use ao and some nice materials should do it.

Jeremy Birn’s book Lighting and Rendering is a good place to start showing how to emulate sky and indirect bounces, although he concludes that GI is offering a lot more than trying to emulate it for photorealism that is.