How to handle complex bone constraints?

Let me tell you what I thought after learning many rigging tutorials and downloading and reviewing the characters in Blender Cloud.

It will depend on the quality of the work, but I have generally found that the complexity of the driver and the bone constraint tends to increase significantly for a single character to complete properly.

The hierarchical structure of the bone can be checked through the outliner. For drivers, there is a driver editor. However, as far as I know, there is no way to check this constraint at a glance.

If so, even your own rig can be confusing to maintain after a month. The same is true when you take over what someone else was working on.

So that’s the questions.

1. Is there a way to understand the correlation of the constraints seen in Blender at a glance?
  2. How do you work when you maintain an old rig or take over someone else’s work?
  3. Other 3D tools had a node-based rigging system. Does Everything Nodes project of Blender include rigging issues?

No there is not. There is definitely a need for some sort of schematic view showing the entire rig at a glance, and “everything nodes” may provide that. There are no real UX proposals that I know of so far.

Thanks for your views.

As you say, I think it would be great if Blender had a schematic for rig.
And I hope that it encompasses both the bone hierarchy and the driver and bone constraints.
I am looking forward to Everything Nodes projects!

If so, the safest way to rigging in the current blender seems to be to complete the rig with a-z in a short time for ensure that the rigger’s workflow isn’t interrupted.

Meanwhile, paradigm of add-on such as Rigify and Auto-Rig pro seems to be trying to get both freedom and maintenance. This is because the dependency complexity of constraints is lowered because all parts within the armature are separate modules. Separation may reduce the rig’s flexibility, but if you overcome that point and make the modules high quality, the finished product made by assembling them freely can be flexible and high quality.

Also, the option to choose is to use a other proven automatic rigging tool.
The degree of freedom may be limited, but if used according to the purpose, productivity can be greatly improved.

Oh, but there are pros and cons to every method.
Eventually I want to create a custom rig for my characters on the RIg Schematic. :slight_smile:

Do you think my understanding is appropriate?
Please let me know if I’m thinking wrong.

1 Like

Hmmmm you might be overthinking all this… sure autorigs make the process simpler and faster, that’s the point. If you’re dealing with a character that’s really different you’re probably going to have to build it by hand.
Right now though Blender has bone groups and bone layers, provided the rigger keeps things tidy these can help clarify the rig at a glance.

Your right on with this thought! I can’t tell you how many hours I have spent trying to understand someone else’s rig that has a problem so I can fix it. It would be wonderful to see a schematic of the relationships at a glance so you can quickly diagnose problems, let alone revisit one of your own complex rigs.

@Hadriscus
Thank you. It helps me a lot.
Perhaps if I have more experience, I will be able to look at the rig simply.

@stilltrying
I’m glad I’m not alone.
I am faithfully learning from the current Blender Rigging System and I look forward to a new system to come in the future.